We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with complaint against Venere.com

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Help with complaint against Venere.com

Can anyone help me with a serious complaint against Venere.com? They are an Italian company internet booking service. I used their website to book a 2 night stay at a German hotel which was described as fully refundable deal. I cancelled the same day of booking which was over 3 weeks ahead of my planned visit and booked an alternative hotel for the same dates again through the venere.com website. I received notification of my cancellation. Imagine my shock when my credit card bill arrived three weeks later to find a charge of £200 by the german hotel. Venere.com customer service have been no help whatsoever. Their terms and conditions are highly misleading and I was given no notice of the charge by them or the german hotel at any point. Surely this is not right! I am disputing the charge through my credit card company but wonder if there is any more I can do particularly against Venere.com as they are not the billing party but are getting a financial reward from the hotel no doubt in relation to my booking. Thanks if you can help.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,413 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with complaint against Venere.com

Not sure what kind of help you want.

Most hotels' websites spell out their cancellation policy so if the German hotel's website states their policy and you have confirmation of the date you booked and canceled and you were within the allowed time limit I would expect that would be of help with your credit card company.

Was your cancellation confirmation from Venere.com? Perhaps they did not pass that along to the hotel - in any case you seem to have all the documents you need to make a successful appeal with your credit card company.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with complaint against Venere.com

"They are an Italian company internet booking service."

Actually... both Venere, and TripAdvisor, are owned by the Expedia group....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expedia,_Inc.

Peter

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with complaint against Venere.com

Thanks for your message - I never dealt directly with the German hotel website - just the intermediary booking company, Venere.com. The trouble is that the hotel cIaim that they can charge for the second night of the 2 night booking as it fell within a trade fair period exception to the usual cancellation rule. This was in small print and very confusing and I didn't understand this to apply particularly as my booking period started the night before. Venere.com first said over the phone the hotel was wrong to charge me but then emailed to say cancellation within a 6 week period was non-refundable even though my initial booking was only 3 weeks ahead anyway! Yes, my cancellation confirmation did come from Venere.com and at no point did it indicated I would be charged. I also booked the alternative hotel for the same dates through them so, had I known I would be charged, I could have cancelled this second booking.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with complaint against Venere.com

Thanks, Peter, I didn't realise they were Expedia owned...

Douglas, Georgia...
Level Contributor
67 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with complaint against Venere.com

Whenever you are booking on Venere, you have to look at the booking and make sure you are not prepaying or making a unrefundable booking.

Venere offers reduced rates for this type of booking.

In their generic terms and conditions, it clearly states that the rooms are refundable UNLESS you selected a reduce rate room that are not.

I have been burned by this as well. I just did not read the whole booking.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with complaint against Venere.com

Thanks, mjzalord. My deal was described as non-refundable though but clearly they are now arguing it wasn't!

I'm worried the credit card company won't back me up and I'll be charged interest on top. One thing for sure - I won't be using Venere.com again as they have cut me loose despite assurances of the employee I spoke to over the phone - I wish there was a way to get the message out there how disreputable they have proved to be in their dealings with me and how misleading their terms and conditions are on their website.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,487 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with complaint against Venere.com

Lodge a formal dispute with your credit card issuer: they will investigate.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
10,492 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with complaint against Venere.com

Maybe I misread but if your deal was described as "non-refundable" it means you can not get a refund.

At the end of the day it is whatever is specifically printed on your booking form with Venere.com not the T&Cs of the Hotel

If it says non-refundable you are not entitled to a refund.

I've booked hotels on booking.com that are non-refundable knowing that if I cancel/can't go I get nothing back. I take the risk if the deal is good. If there is only a few quid in it then I take the refundable option for peace of mind

Rome, Italy
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with complaint against Venere.com

Hi,

I do officially respond for Venere.com. Usually our Cancelation policies are clearly indicated in the Cancellation Policy box and hoteliers usually load their Cancellation Policies directly. Consequently in order to make sure that there was no mis-communication I would appreciate if you could send me out your reservation number, name and surename so that we clarify what happened with the hotel. Please send this information to customer.service@venere.com and to zanarini@venere.com so that I can check out personally what might have happened. In the meanwhile please accept our excuses for the bad booking experience. Many thanks.

Hanoi, Vietnam
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with complaint against Venere.com

I also had a trouble with venere two days ago. I booked a double room in Paris (6th - 8th May) that allowed to cancel before two days of arrival date. If not, the first night will be charged. (You can see policy here : http://www.venere.com/hotels/paris/hotel-neptune-italie/?sd=06&sm=05&sy=2011&ed=08&em=05&ey=2011&pval=2&rval=1#overview)

In the confirmation mail, the policy said that:

"Your credit card will not be charged by Venere.com.

Payment is to be made directly to the hotel at the end of your stay.

If the property requires a deposit or advanced payment, this information will be indicated in the following section.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Cancellation Policy - Penalty

----------------------------------------------------------------------

You may cancel the reservation without being charged the penalty indicated by the property by: TUESDAY, MAY 03, 2011 at 11:59 pm (GMT +2h) You cannot cancel your reservation if you selected and booked a room indicated as "PREPAID/NON REFUNDABLE".

Venere.com never charges a penalty for cancellations. The Hotel Neptune Italie has the right to charge a penalty for cancellation requests made after the deadline indicated above and/or if you do not follow the instructions specified in the section "How to Cancel Your Booking".

If the booking is not cancelled at the latest 48hours prior to arrival, one

night penalty will be charged."

But when I finished the booking, my credit card account was charged the first night immediately.

Yesterday, I wrote an email to ask them why my account was charged.

This is the first time I use Venere, and I feel unhappy :(

Edited: 09 April 2011, 07:47