We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help... First trip to Italy and I am overwhelmed

south jersey
Level Contributor
100 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Help... First trip to Italy and I am overwhelmed

good golly... this trip has been harder to plan than I had anticipated! Please tell me if this "rough" itinerary sounds doable for a couple of Italy newbies...Land in Rome, stay 4 days, rent car at Rome train station and drive to San Gimignano for 4 days, drive back to Rome train station, return car and take train to Naples. Get picked up by private driver (that would all be in 1 day, Tuscany to Rome to Positano) and taken to Positano for 4 days. Return to Rome for 1 night before flight home. I am especially worried about that 1 day spent traveling from San Gimignano to Positano. Is that too far and too much for one day? Thank you

Meg

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,060 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help... First trip to Italy and I am overwhelmed

It sounds fine. Once you get back to Rome and turn in the car, the rest of your travel is pretty relaxed and passive.

Just 1 hour and ten minutes to Naples, driver meets you at the end of the train track and you can again just be comfortable, relax and enjoy the amazing views and in just a bit less than 2 hours (depending on traffic) from Naples, you will be dropped off at your hotel - then, completely relax and enjoy the view.

south jersey
Level Contributor
100 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help... First trip to Italy and I am overwhelmed

Thanks MomCat. I do realize that the private driver will be a bit of a cost in Naples, but I just thought that with all of that traveling done in that day we will need to baby ourselves a little bit.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,925 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help... First trip to Italy and I am overwhelmed

www.romeinfo.com

Car rental www.auto-europe.com www.auto-europe.co.uk

Route planner www.viamichelin.com

www.discovertuscany.com

Accommodation www.venere.com

Train Rome to Naples www.trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html

Amalfi coast bus transport sitabus.it/sitabus/…QUADROXV.pdf

Train to Pompeii Scavi from Sorrento www.vesuviana.it

Ferry www.coopsantandrea.com www.lauroweb.com/alicost.htm

www.capri.net

www.amalficoastweb.com

Edited: 14 April 2011, 03:35
La Canada...
Level Contributor
218 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Help... First trip to Italy and I am overwhelmed

If you are driving north to Tuscany, most people find it easier to pick up your car a little north of the train station. The main Hertz rental location is "Villa Borghese", and the Avis one "Via Sardegna". Either of those would be easier pick up locations to head north.

Usually in Italy there is no, or a nominal, drop off charge for dropping a car off at a place other than where it was picked up. You could drive your car all the way from San Gimignano to either Salerno or Sorrento, both of which have major rental car drop off locations, and continue with a private transfer to Positano from either of those places. If you choose to do that, get online driving directions and use a mapping feature so that you know the exact location of the rental drop off agency.

According to http://www.viamichelin.com , the drive from San Gimignano to Salerno is 321 miles and takes about 5 hours of driving time. You would be on autostrade most of the way.

The only difficulty you might encounter depends on what day of the week you plan to go to Positano. Except for major rail stations or airports, car rental agencies in Italy tend to close around 1:00p.m. on Saturday, and don't reopen again until Monday morning. So you would have to go on a weekday.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,067 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help... First trip to Italy and I am overwhelmed

If you have not driven in Italy...especially Rome, and you can't read Italian signage, it may be difficult to find your way out of the city. GPS may be an advantageous investment. I like zatara's suggestion of just driving through and dropping the car off in Salerno. (Naples?) Good luck.

boston
Level Contributor
74 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help... First trip to Italy and I am overwhelmed

i've done something like this about three times.flew into florence,rented car at airport,stayed in tuscany 5 days. returned car at airport.taxi to train station.train to naples.private driver to amalfi coast and back to naples train station .train to rome stay 4 days.fly home.seems to work pretty good

south jersey
Level Contributor
100 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help... First trip to Italy and I am overwhelmed

thanks... this is exactly the information that I need. I could rent a car at the "Villa Borghese" station... drive to Tuscany then return the car in Salerno and do public transportation to Positano. It seems better to stay out of the Rome area when having to return the car before heading down to Positano.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,060 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help... First trip to Italy and I am overwhelmed

That does make the most sense. I had thought you didn't want to drive south of Rome and that you felt it might be too much driving for one day but I think this is a good and economical plan.

9. Re: Help... First trip to Italy and I am overwhelmed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 06:15