We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Venice to Siena

lakeville, mn
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Venice to Siena

I am traveling between Venice and Siena end of May (a Friday). I'm trying to decide which train to take and if I need to book ahead of time. We only have a few days in each city, so I don't want to spend time waiting at train stations yet I would like the flexibility of not having to book a ticket ahead of time. Also, trying to book on the Trenitalia site looks very difficult (part of its in Italian, etc).

It looks like Trenitalia has a 4 hour train, and also through Rail Europe. If I arrive at station 30 min's in advance (there are 5 of us) am I fairly certain I'll get the train I want?

Last question - what's the diff between 1st and 2nd class? With 2nd class will our bags not be near us and do we need to worry about them being stolen? Is the main advantage of 1st class (along w/ larger seats, etc) that your luggage is near you?

Thank you!

Christi

Watertown, MA
Level Contributor
2,695 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Venice to Siena

the trains depart every hour and you can easily buy your tickets at the self service machines at the train station. 30 minutes will give you plenty of time to buy them, buy some food etc.

There are fairly large overhead racks for luggage, but not big enough for huge suitcases (like 28") in both classes. First class has a little more room but I don't think it's worth the extra euro for the two hour trip from Venice to Florence. (You have to change trains in Florence for Siena) The train from Florence to Siena is a regional train and there are no reserved seats.

I would recommend not taking suitcases you can't lift onto the train or place in the overhead racks. Once in Siena you can take a taxi or bus to the historic center. You can take a bus from Florence to Siena which drops you right the center and is a easy walk towards.

There have been recent threads of folks in the US being able to purchase Trenitalia tickets with a US credit card. If you able to purchase tickets you may be to get one of the "mini" fares, which is cheaper but has lots of restrictions.

Edited: 23 April 2011, 18:17
2. Re: Train from Venice to Siena

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 18:18