We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We want to stay on a tobacco farm in Italy

Simcoe, Canada
Level Contributor
270 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
We want to stay on a tobacco farm in Italy

My husband and I are planning our 25th anniversary trip to Italy ( on our 30th anniversary.....stuff happens ) We would like to spend a few days on a tobacco farm and I haven't been able to find any info about such stays, just wondering if anyone has any information on this. My husband would love it if the tobacco farm was still functioning.

Thanks for any help!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We want to stay on a tobacco farm in Italy

No offers for a specific place, but there's a lot grown in the Campania region - under a very tight and somewhat complicated state monopoly.

We've often see the drying frames from the train - so I'll have a dig around for some specific locations...

Peter

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We want to stay on a tobacco farm in Italy

Indeed, it seems Campania is the "Regione" that produces most...

tabaccheria21.net/il_tabacco_in_italia.htm

And here they say it's grown in the provinces of Caserta, Benevento and Avellino

adnkronos.com/IGN/Lavoro/Politiche/Tabacco-l…

A farm that offers accommodation is called an "agroturismo", so you might try searching Google for the 3 words..

Tabacco campania agroturismo

For instance, this came out near the top of the responses...

agriturismo.it/it/…index.html

Not sure if they're actually growers as well, it just says... "Circondato da vigneti, uliveti e campi coltivati a tabacco e cereali" - which means... 'Surrounded by vineyards, olive groves and fields cultivated with tobacco and cereals...'

Although, as you may note, in the English version (which is accessible using the Union Jack flag symbol) the reference to tobacco has been removed!

The site has a review, from someone who ate there - which isn't very flattering...

It might be simplest to contact the agency - which is probably one of several dealing with accommodation of that sort - and ask if they've any that are still active?

The Campania selection begins here...

www.agriturismo.it/en/farmhouse/campania

Peter

PS: for an idea of what else there is to see and do in the 'Regione' of Campania - of which Ischia is part - try...

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/tele

Simcoe, Canada
Level Contributor
270 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We want to stay on a tobacco farm in Italy

Thanks! I appreciate all the info, you've been very helpful!

4. Re: We want to stay on a tobacco farm in Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 05:16