We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italy In June for 60 year old couple

Exeter, United...
Destination Expert
for Torquay, Paignton, Brixham, English Riviera, Exeter
Level Contributor
352 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Italy In June for 60 year old couple

Wanting to send my parents to Italy begining June 06. They have never been and neither have I.

Where do i send them, Dont really want to send them to Rome - would prefer scenary to buildings.

They would prefer not to drive, but dont want long Coach trips (day trips are fine)

Any suggestions please!!

Thanks in advance

West Midlands...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Italy In June for 60 year old couple

The lakes in Northern Italy will have some great scenary, I have visited Lake Maggiore and we never went near a car/coach for ten days, as there is a great ferry service that takes you to all the main towns/sites, I think this is the same for Garda and Como as well.

Exeter, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
352 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Italy In June for 60 year old couple

Thanks will bear that in mind

Italy
Level Contributor
1,183 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Italy In June for 60 year old couple

Yes one of the lakes would probably suit them fine. The boats go up and down the lakes and so a nice way of getting around without taking buses or trains.

Garda is very popular with the blue rinse brigade---not intended to be rude but true.

June is also a good month as July and August get over crowded with Germans and now the low costers have swamped it a bit too.

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Italy In June for 60 year old couple

Lakes sound a good idea...

also... if they'd like a bit of variety and don't mind day trips on trains... they could stay in Verona (opera perhaps ?) and take day trips to Venice in one direction and the Lakes in the other.... then there's Vicenza and other towns nearby ....

London
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Italy In June for 60 year old couple

What about a nice agriturismo or B&B in the Piedmont/Monferrato area? they could go to Lake maggiore in a day trip or enjoy the countryside and relax. May need a car though, although they could go by by train and coaches (small trips).

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
86 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Italy In June for 60 year old couple

hotel continentale garda.have stayed there last two years.very well run/family owned.lovely village with long promenade stretching to bardolino.very good bus and ferry connections around the lake and verona.for steaks try the venezia trattoria.if they like seafood go to "i am the chef" situated beside the carabinieri station.25 euro for multiple courses of seafood that swam,crawled or passed close to the lake that day.malcesine/monte baldo,limone and sirmione all worth a visit.look for local artist-"mario malfer"'paintings in the hotel and local barber's (cousin ) shop in garda and the sculptor "giancarlo gottardi" in sirmione.they are brilliant.

Exeter, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
352 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Italy In June for 60 year old couple

Thanks everyone. I have lots of ideas to look into now.