We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the best/shortest airline to take from Los Angles...

usa
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
What is the best/shortest airline to take from Los Angles...

I have a great fear of flying, but really want to return to Italy for a 10 day vacation prob around April or May. Can anyone recommend the QUICKEST way to get to Florence Italy from LOS ANGELES or LAS VEGAS??? I'm trying to avoid too many stops/connections, since take-off's and landings make my nervouseness worse, also want to cut the flight time as much as possible. I know it normally takes about 12 hrs to get there (non-stop). I used to fly NON-STOP from L.A. on Italia, but I know they no longer do non-stop flights from LAX to Italy. REALLY DON'T KNOW WHY. But anyway, if anyone can recommend a short flight, I will greatly appreciate it. I would like to leave from LAX or VEGAS, but if I have to drive to a different city to avoid a longer flight, I will do that. All replies will be appreciated. :)))

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,002 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the best/shortest airline to take from Los Angles...

Too bad Alitalia canceled most of their US-bound flights a few yewars ago. It was one of the many poor decisions made by their management. Aside from that, according to www.kayak.com (a very good airfare search engine) you could fly from L.A. to Pisa with just one change of plane in Paris via Air France. Current fare is $751 roundtrip. Pisa is just 1 hour away from Florence by train (and there is a trains tation at the sirport!). Hope that helps.

La Canada...
Level Contributor
218 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the best/shortest airline to take from Los Angles...

I understand Florence Airport will be closed for some sort of remodelling from sometime around the end of February to the beginning of June, so at your proposed time nobody is flying to Florence.

If you really want a nonstop, there is a daily nonstop from LAX to Zurich on Swiss Airlines, www.swiss.com.

There is a railway station under the airport terminal in Zurich. It is about a 7 hour train ride from Zurich to Florence (see the Swissrail website, www.rail.ch.

You could also fly nonstop on Lufthansa to Munich, and again train, although it would be longer than from Zurich.

usa
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the best/shortest airline to take from Los Angles...

I want to thank EVERYONE who has responded to my POST. All your information has been of EXTREME help. It is so nice to know that wonderful and very helpful people still exist on earth. Not only that, you guys are pretty much helping for FREE, so that to me is BIG!!!!! THANKS AGAIN SO MUCH!!!!!!!

I also want to add to this...

why is it that it is SOOOOOOO DIFFICULT TO GET TO ITALY FROM THE BIG CITIES LIKE: LOS ANGELES, LAS VEGAS, I'M SURE OTHER BIG ONES. I know that Italy is one of the most visited Countries, so I just don't know why the airlines have made it soooo hard to get to. So hard meaning...NON-STOP FLIGHTS TO ITALY. Looks like most have 1 to 2 stops. Before, I used to fly to Italy from Los Angeles NON-STOP. It was soooo great! I'd get on the plane and a few hours later, I was in Milan. Ofcourse, after a few hours I get totally anxious (like 10 minutes into the flight). But that sure beats having to get on the plane, then having to stop like in Paris, London, Georgia, Texas...instead of flying directly to the place I really want to visit > Italy! I JUST WISH THERE WOULD BE MORE NON-STOP FLIGHTS. If there were, I know I'd be there more often. It's those stops that really hold me back and ofcourse, the fear of flying. But if I don't fly...I WON'T SEE. And I just don't want to die an ignorant fool! The best way to kill ignorance is TRAVEL, that's for sure. So I must fly! :)))

La Canada...
Level Contributor
218 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the best/shortest airline to take from Los Angles...

You can find out a lot of the possible routings to Italy by going to www.orbitz.com, the booking engine owned by the major airlines. Pick a date, put in departure sites LAX (los Angeles) or LAS (Los Vegas), and possible Italy destinations FCO (Rome), MXP (Milan), PSA (Pisa), VCE (Venice). It will show the airlines, flight numbers, the flight times, and the layover times where you change flights. Be aware that the airlines consider 40 or 45 minutes a legal connection. I would find that short a period very anxiety producing as I'd be afraid I'd miss my connection. I'd want more like 1 1/2 hours. So the "shortest" time may not be the best.

Glendale, California
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the best/shortest airline to take from Los Angles...

Take a red-eye to Washington D.C., do not layover and fly to Italy.

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What is the best/shortest airline to take from Los Angles...

Hello all:

Keep your eye on the site most dedicated to bargain air travel. Period.

airfarewatchdog.com/welcome-to-airfarewatchd…

The shortest distance between any two points on the Earth lies on what is known as 'the great circle route' between them. Flying non-stop from LAX to Paris (CDG) or to London (LHR) for example will take advantage of the (same) great circle route to northern Europe as long as possible.

As others have noted, until summer the closest one can get to Florence by air is Pisa. That is a combination airport and train station, with a direct train to Florence.

These extremely long one-way trips (just about 6 thousand miles or 10 thousand km) and +9 hr time shift from LAX or SFO tax anyone's patience.

Here's my routine: Set a watch to destination time when you board the aircraft -- when it's time to sleep in Florence, take a mild sleep aid and really sleep.

Buy noise canceling headphones -- wear good support socks (up to the knee) to prevent clots from immobility. (Even 20-year olds die from ignoring this precaution.)

When awake, no alcohol, get water, walk about and do some stretch and bend. Bring your own food to eat on European schedule. If caffeine is desired, pack your own sources. I freeze cafe mochas in their bottles, these double as refrigerant for other foods I've packed.

Have you ever considered using behavioral therapy as a way to reduce or overcome anxiety during flight. In the LA area there must be a number of competent licensed travel therapy providers. The time frame is usually short. We're not talking about Freudian analysis here.

Your obvious willingness to fly despite great anxiety would be in your favor in beating the problem. Everyone who flies has some in-flight anxiety -- you're not alone in feeling it. I certainly do. That's another good reason to get some real sleep -- the hours slip by easily.

1st_circle

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What is the best/shortest airline to take from Los Angles...

unaponce -

I generally use KLM to Europe - you can fly non-stop LAX to Amsterdam - and then take the train from there - Schipol is very civilized airport and the rail station is right downstairs, so you could avoid a second flight if you wished --

Good Luck

LOS ANGLES
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is the best/shortest airline to take from Los Angles...

Two things: I used to get on and walk off flights until I took a fear of flying course in Orange County, Ca. I have a relaxation tape and listen to it before and during flights. If you're really relaxed you're not grabbing the bottom of the seat to hold on.Its going to be bumpy 10% of the time. Relax. When it gets really bumpy I drink (with my own bottle).

On International flights I stay up all night before so IM so sleepy on the plane I can actually doze off.

Try it!