We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage question

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
157 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Luggage question

I have a green band that I used when I went to Ireland a few years ago (put around my suitcase). To help find your black suitcase among the millions of others. My question is whether or not this is advisable? Does it bring to much attention to your suitcase?

2nd question: When I went to San Juan last year, I flew to Charlotte where my daughter lives and then we flew the next day to San Juan to pick up a cruise. I had a TSA approved lock on my checked suitcase and when it finally came down into the baggage claim, the lock had been cut off and my suitcase had been totally ransacked and stuff just dumped back in. Unfortunately I had put my camera in and it was stolen. And, yes, I know I shouldn't have done that...I don't know what I was thinking! So...does putting a lock on the suitcase when traveling to a foreign country bring more attention to it? I've never had this problem while flying within the US.

Thanks for all advice!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,101 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Luggage question

Too much attention from whom?

Hopefully, you reported the theft from your luggage. I have read about thefts from checked luggage which is why it is always advised to never put anything of value (or medications) in a checked bag.

I have come home a number of times from domestic flights to find a piece of paper in my checked bag from TSA informing me that they looked in it. I never bother to lock it because I know if they want to get in it, they will. I take a luggage lock that I use when I leave my bag in hotel rooms as I lock up my laptop and sometimes my camera in it during the day.

As to whether a locked checked bag draws more attention traveling anywhere - who knows? Don't know if there are statistics on that or not.

I now never check a bag - carry ons only for me regardless of how long my trip is - in March I went to Italy for three weeks with a carry on and just did laundry along the way. I do it more because I don't like having my bag not arrive when I do and having to wait for lost luggage. If I did check my bag and someone wanted to steal my clothes, well, that is what my travel insurance is for.

I don't think there is anyway to predict what I think is probably just random thievery anywhere in the world.

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
157 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Luggage question

I guess from the people after TSA have checked.

I did report the loss to no avail. I didn't suspect TSA because they are on cameras. So had to be baggage handlers.

Guess it is just the luck of the draw. Wish I could manage to not check a bag, but short of taking very little to wear in both warm and cool weather, I just don't think it's possible. I have downsized my suitcase, however! After reading about the packing light comments constantly, I've gone to a medium sized suitcase (one size above a carryon). Compared to how I normally pack, that's a big deal!

I plan on doing laundry along the way as well. Just finished my trial pack this morning. Maybe I can get a few things out of that bag, but not enough to get down to a carryon size!

Thanks for your comment. :)

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,333 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luggage question

Pack light, pack light, pack light. Nobody is going to know if you wear an outfit once or 3 times on your trip. Absolutely NOTHING of value should be in your checked case, only clothing and perhaps some extra toiletries.

Don't worry about the green band; ours is fluorescent orange. It draws my attention and that's what I want.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,455 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Luggage question

Skip the lock for the flight, as yes, they will open and/or remove it if they(the TSA) want to check something. However, as Momcat suggests, bring a lock for keeping the bag in your room if you want to leave something valuable in it.

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
157 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Luggage question

Well, the lock is a TSA lock so they can unlock it and relock it. However, from my past experience, locking it doesn't really protect from others! So I will do as suggested and just bring my lock with me.

Sounds like I will go with my green band!

I will reassess my clothes list. Basically I'm packing a swimsuit, undies, socks, jeans and shirts, with one pair of slacks and one dress top for evenings. And a lightweight zip-up jacket. I don't see that I can get beyond having to check my bag, but I may get it down in weight!

Thanks, everyone. :)

Georgetown
Level Contributor
422 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luggage question

We have travelled to Europe several times and have always done so with only a carry on bag. I pack a collapsable bag in it to bring home souveniers and don't mind checking that on the return trip. You would be amazed how much you can get in a carry on and how much you really don't need to bring along.

7. Re: Luggage question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 08:19