We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive Holiday Around Italy

Perth
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Drive Holiday Around Italy

We have four weeks (less incl travel to and from). We would like to drive around Italy and having never been there before would like suggested itineraries.

We are travelling from Perth in the month of Sep 2012.

We are currently investigating Home Exchanges - we have done that before quite successfully however not for the entire time and depends who answers us.

Any suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks guys...

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,663 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive Holiday Around Italy

Do not drive if you want to visit major cities (Rome, Florence, Milan, Venice, etc). Traffic in the cities is fast and heavy; and parking is very expensive. To visit the major cities, travel by train.

On the other hand, a car is good if you want to visit smaller towns. You may get some ideas from two driving holidays we have taken: http://nickbooth.id.au/Pages/Italy.html and http://nickbooth.id.au/Europe09/index.htm

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
450 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive Holiday Around Italy

I would suggest that you might want to think in terms of four different locations for one week each or even two for two weeks each. By staying in the country or in establishing a base in a small town it will be less expensive and you can tour by car and see different places each day, but take day trips into the large cities by train. Sydneynick is correct above, you do not want to try to drive in the large cities as most of them have restricted areas where you will be ticketed by camera.

For instance, last September we spent two weeks in a small village near the Tuscan/Umbrian border and took day trips to the walled towns of Assisi, Deruta, Todi, Orvieto, Citta Del Pieve, Castellino del Lago, Chiusi, Panicale, Cortona, Montepulciano, Pienza, Volterra and Siena as well as doing local market day trips. It was wonderful, not rushed and allowed us to meet people in our small town, see a variety of handcrafts, visit different markets, try a lot of different restaurants and be relaxed at the same time. Hope this helps.

Perth
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive Holiday Around Italy

Thanks so much for your recommendations. I am going to look closely at what you guys are saying. I think it is wise for us not to drive into the major cities and probably wouldn't have done that anyway however where would you hire a car from? Where would you suggest to start from Rome? Milan? Venice?. Are you able to travel via train/bus/orwhatever to countryside then hire a car?

Thanks again everyone.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,663 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive Holiday Around Italy

In Venice, you can easily pick up at the "downtown" location at Piazzale Roma, at the end of the road into Venice. Elsewhere, I would normally pick up at the airport: airports are out of the city and have good road connections. Some people take a train to a smaller town and pick up there.

However, I think it would be a very bad idea to get off a 23-hour flight from Australia, get into a rental car, and start driving on the right along unfamiliar roads. Have at least one night in the city where you arrive.

You can, of course, visit large cities by staying somewhere reasonably close and using public transport. We have stayed in Lucca to visit Florence, and in Certosa di Pavia to visit Milan.

I think you first need to decide the places you want to visit, and which cities you will fly in to and out of. The detail of where to rent the car vwill flow from that.

5. Re: Drive Holiday Around Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2011, 20:48
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,663 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive Holiday Around Italy

Four weeks is nothing like enough to see anything like all the sights on the Italian mainland. I don't see the point of trying to see Sicily or Sardinia when the time is so limited.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,689 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive Holiday Around Italy

If you do get a car, then check out the leasing possibilities from Renault and Peugeot. They are much less expensive and you get a new car. You will want to park and leave your car somewhere safe while visiting Rome, Florence and Venice. These are mentioned in most guide books, or do an Internet search, or send me a private message.

If you can find a home exchange near these places that offers parking that would be ideal, especially if they are a short transit ride from the city.

We parked our car two nights for free outside of Florence and took tram into the city, staying near the Duomo.

For Venice we stayed in a great spot in Mestre, about a ten minute bus ride away from Venice. Our place had included gated parking.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,663 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drive Holiday Around Italy

Whenever I have looked into leasing a car in Europe, I have found that rental worked out marginally cheaper.

9. Re: Drive Holiday Around Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2012, 05:18