We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

14-21 days in Italy May vs October

Colorado
Level Contributor
241 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
14-21 days in Italy May vs October

Hi!...so I know NO ONE can explain air fare logic, but does anyone have a clue as to why airfare from Denver US to Venice or Rome is almost TWICE as much in Sept/Oct as it is in May?...I checked average temps throughout Italy and they don't seem to differ too much between those two times of year...so why do more people want to go in Sept/Oct than May...is it rain?....also, is May considered a "lo season" in certain places in Italy, perhaps will be a little cheaper....

I will also have some itinerary questions soon, but one question I can pose now...I am assuming that staying on the outskirts of popular places will be cheaper than staying, say, actually IN Rome or Venice...does it usually counter the extra train/bus fare to travel into the city?...thanks, Ana

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,069 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 14-21 days in Italy May vs October

We usually travel to Italy in either May or very late September (thus October is included). I am no expert...however, perhaps the airlines post the fares high this far in advance, in hopes some 'nervous nellies' will panic and buy there tickets early. Neither May or Sept are low season in Italy any longer. October is rather on the cusp...the closer to April or November the better the "chance" for better rates for both air and hotel costs. As for staying on the "outskirts" of Rome or Venice will save you money. the answer is 'of course' it will. The difference can be quite large...you get what you pay for. Buses, trains, or vaporettos are fairly cheap so yes, you will come out ahead 'dollar' wise. How much is charm and convenience, worth to you. How far out? What's your budget? Everyone has a point of view...once they have been there...done that. Personally I think it is worth the money to be in close...so we can us the hotel as a midday oasis and rest stop. But others think differently...

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
450 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 14-21 days in Italy May vs October

One of the difficult things to put a price tag on is how much is your time worth? Staying outside of town may be cheaper, or it can be more expensive if you add in missed opportunity because you had to catch a bus so you missed seeing a museum, or a market or a concert that would have been memorable. One way of balancing this is to stay in a less expensive (which sometimes it also less nice, but not always) hotel, B&B or rental apartment. Consider moving less often or seeing fewer places, but getting to know them better.

As for the seasons, more is in bloom in May and generally greener, slightly greater chance of rain. Trade off is that in September and October you have the food fairs, the markets full of ripe locally grown fruit, and a country side of rusts and umbers... a question of personal taste, which do you prefer? We were in Florence an Umbria in September and loved it. I am sure that we will love it next spring when we come back.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,669 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 14-21 days in Italy May vs October

I prefer May myself, and both May and October (at least early October) are high season. I think it's too early to buy tickets for either period. There will almost certainly be fall fare sales in the summer, and I wouldn't be surprised to see some reductions for May as well.

Colorado
Level Contributor
241 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 14-21 days in Italy May vs October

Thanks so much...honestly, I would prefer to go in the fall, but the check on the airfares threw me...$860 in May, $1450 in late Sept...maybe you are right and I am worrying too soon...as far as accommodations, I would rather stay right in the middle of the town/city....unfortunately, my budget just doesn't always allow me my first preferences, but I try to balance things and splurge on those that are the most important to me...fancy isn't important, but certainly at my age, don't want to stay in a hostel either as my twenty-something daughter did a few years ago....

once I put together my proposed itinerary, can I bug you again?...did this about a year ago too and got some great suggestions....then, had to drop the trip for unforeseen circumstances, so back at it again for this year....thanks so much, Ana

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 14-21 days in Italy May vs October

Of course you can put together an itinerary and post it.

Hostels (there aren't that many; most are just inexpensive B&Bs that list themselves on sites like Hostelworld) are not necessarily cheaper than regular hotels and B&Bs. There is inexpensive accommodation in central Rome, Florence and Venice. If you're not a party person and don't mind a curfew (not all of them have curfews), consider staying in a convent; they're spartan but aqueaky clean. There's a list at santasusanna.org/comingToRome/convents.html (prices have not been updated) or Google >convent Rome (or Florence or Venice)<. Book well in advance, preferably by fax. Don't use Monastery Stays; they tack on a hefty service charge to do something you can do yourself.

May and October, as has been pointed out, are both high season. Consider that people in the tourist industry are more lkely to be suffering from "tourist overload" in October than in May. Also, days are getting longer in May; in October they're getting shorter.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,669 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 14-21 days in Italy May vs October

I must say that $860 is a fantastic fare, especially if it's from Denver. I wouldn't expect to see anything like that in October, and I can hardly believe it for May. Are you sure it includes taxes?

Colorado
Level Contributor
241 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 14-21 days in Italy May vs October

yep, includes taxes....that's why I was considering jumping on it....thanks, Ana

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9,720 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 14-21 days in Italy May vs October

If May & October are "High" season what is July & August? Never heard May & October called High season unless there is another secret level above that.

May & October are not High season in the Lakes or Tuscany or Adriatic coast or Liguria or ................... etc

Much depends where you go as to how much you pay. If the area is a popular summer destination then prices in May and October will be a lot lot cheaper. City prices won't necessarily vary very much except when there is something special on.

Staying outside of more expensive places may be cheaper but not necessarily nice to be.

Some people choose to stay in Mestre rather than Venice itself but isn't exactly "picturesque"

Place like Treviso nicer place to stay, cheaper, only 30mins by train €2.80 single and you can get a train as late as midnight back from Venice.

www.trenitalia.com for trains

May weather in northern italy (including Veneto area) can be unpredictable. Can be very warm with temps in the late 20C's early 30Cs or damp and miserable 12C/54F

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
8,838 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 14-21 days in Italy May vs October

Stayed in Treviso once as I was there on business. Very nice town, but I would rather bite the bullet and stay in Venice. Just drove around Mestra last month. Not a place I would stay personally.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,258 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 14-21 days in Italy May vs October

May and October are high season in Venice,