We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Italy - advice

Center Valley...
3 posts
Save Topic
First trip to Italy - advice

I am trying to plan a trip to Italy for this coming April. I am looking especially for information on tour operators (good and bad) and who is best to book with. I have 10 days and would like to do Rome/Florence/Venice and possibly Capri. I would appreciate any advice on how to best use my time. Thank you!!!

Virginia
Level Contributor
68 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to Italy - advice

Marissa - I used Gate 1 Travel this past July to tour Italy and would highly recommend them. We went on the 9 day Enchanting Italy tour and loved it! Their website is easy to use, so please check them out. If you have any specific questions, just ask. I had researched several tour companies and felt like I got the most bang for my buck at Gate 1 Travel.

Have fun planning your trip!

Center Valley...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to Italy - advice

Thank you for your response! I've looked at Gate 1, but I thought it seemed like the hotels were very out of the way. Where did you visit?

Virginia
Level Contributor
68 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to Italy - advice

The hotels with Gate 1 were actually pretty convenient as in you could easily walk to them from almost anywhere in the city. We went to Venice, Florence, and Rome, with a stop in Assisi. The hotel in Venice was not near St. Mark's Square, but that gave us a chance to see Venice by walking from St. Mark's to the hotel. The hotel in Florence was several bridges from the main tourist area, but again, we enjoyed our walk to the hotel. The hotel in Rome was about two blocks from the Coloseum. There were all ages in our group and no one seemed to mind the hotel locations. I've heard others say that they were happy with other tour companies too. I had a really good experience with Gate 1 and would certainly use them again.

We took the Enchanting Italy 9-day tour.

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
450 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to Italy - advice

We don't use tours preferring to chart our own course. Having said that, if you can find a 10 day tour of Rome, Florence and Venice I think that would be about as hectic as you would want to be to really enjoy what you are seeing AND enjoy Italy. Tendency for individuals as well as tour companies is to try to do too much. You come home exhausted and wondering what that blur was. At least that is our experience.

Center Valley...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to Italy - advice

Does anyone have any experience with Trafalgar? Good or bad?

6. Re: First trip to Italy - advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2012, 10:23