We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel from rome to umbria/tuscany

florida
Level Contributor
72 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
travel from rome to umbria/tuscany

In June my wife and 3 teens would like to go to umbria/tuscany(after 5 days in Rome) but i am concerned about driving a car out of downtown rome to the country. Two questions.Is it difficult to get out of Rome driving?If we don't drive out of rome is there some place we could easily take a train to and pick up a rental for our trip north? thanks

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel from rome to umbria/tuscany

Where in Tuscany/Umbria are you going? You may be able to use public transportation everywhere.

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
450 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel from rome to umbria/tuscany

If you are concerned about driving out of Rome, then I think that your best bet would be to take the train to the main regional train station at Chiusi on the Southern Tuscan/northern Umbrian border and rent a car there. Chiusi is about 40 kms to Perugia to the east and the same distances to Orvieto to the South, Cortona to the north and Montepulciano to the west.

We stayed last September in a small village (Piegaro) 14 Kms from Chiusi and found the area quite central for visiting everything from Siena to Assisi and Cortona to Orvieto and Todi. Here is the website for where we stayed www.anticavetreria.it (and are going back to in July); you may not wish to stay there, but Colleen has a wealth of good information on her site about the area. I would really recommend a car for touring the medium and small sized towns of Tuscany and Umbria, especially with a family. Hope this helps.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,064 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel from rome to umbria/tuscany

Hi there

Driving out of Rome isn't easy. We did it last year - we'd booked a car space at a garage opposite Termini - we missed our turnoff to get out but once we got out it was fine - it's like any big city eg I hate driving in Sydney. I would pick up your car from the airport and go from there. That said, driving in Italy was a terrific experience and I love the freedom that driving can give you - driving is a thumb's up from me. Once your're on the road Italy - out of major cities, it's all good.

Kind Regards

Merran

4. Re: travel from rome to umbria/tuscany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2012, 10:22