We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Help Completing Honey Moon Itinerary

long island
Level Contributor
137 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Need Help Completing Honey Moon Itinerary

Hey everyone, first trip to Italy for my honeymoon this Summer. Trying to put together a Itinerary. My first question would be what you thought of the start of the itinerary? My second question was if anyone knew of a beautiful area or resort we could finish the trip to veg out a little. I had in mind an area that has a beach possibly and wouldn't be too far from the Amalfi Coast area, which I believe might be our 3rd stop. Is Capri the best option for that? Others mentioned Sicily? Again an excellent beach would be nice, or at least a beautiful resort.

1) 3 night in Vencie - Spend a day in Lake Como area

2) 4-5 nights in Florence - Day trip to countryside

3) 3 nights Amalfi Coast - Maybe a day or night trip to Capri

4) 3-4 nights....????? - Looking for a fantastic resort, with hopefully a nice beach. Open to Sicily, Capri or other suggestions.

-Yes, I'm missing Rome, but its probably Rome or the Amalfi Coast. Am I crazy? I could change Itinerary to Venice-Florence-Rome-Amalfi Coast. Thanks in advance.....I'm finding out planning your first trip to Italy is not an easy task. Especially when you're told every location is fantastic lol....

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,929 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Help Completing Honey Moon Itinerary

You cannot reasonably visit Lake Como on a day trip from Venice. Como is almost 200 miles from Venice, and the train journey takes about four hours each way.

long island
Level Contributor
137 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Help Completing Honey Moon Itinerary

you're right, looking at a map it seems too far. I'm at the preliminary stages of my planning. Any ideas of another point of interest that you can check out while in Venice?

alaska
Destination Expert
for Siena
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Help Completing Honey Moon Itinerary

You are on your honeymoon so don't pack that much activity, take part of a day and explore the outer Islands of Venice.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,929 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Help Completing Honey Moon Itinerary

If the two of you are interested in art, I would recommend a trip to Padova, which is easily reached by train or bus. The Scrovegni Chapel is a stunning work that had great influence on the development of Renaissance painting. You must book in advance: see www.cappelladegliscrovegni.it/eng/index_e.htm

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Help Completing Honey Moon Itinerary

From Venice, you could take a day trip to Verona - even go to the opera there in the Roman arena.. Verona is the home of Romeo and Juliet.... but Verona has much more to recommend it than that ! Lots of art in the churches, and then there's the Arena (like the Colosseum). Street market, fashionable shopping, ancient castle... bridges over the river.... gardens...

Then, if you're going to be in the south anyway, visiting the Amalfi coast, you could go over to the island of Ischia (won't be as crowded as Capri - and it's bigger) where there are some lovely sandy beaches, such as the Spiaggia dei Maronti, and the Aragonese castle nearby.... see Bri-in-ischia's posts on the Ischia forum. They have spas there, for bathing in the mineral springs.

You're on your honeymoon, you deserve to have a few days of lying on the beach. Enjoy yourselves, best wishes ! Nolana

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Help Completing Honey Moon Itinerary

Travel to Ischia is easy from Sorrento or Naples, there are ferries several times a day. For more details, go to the relevant forum.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
94 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Help Completing Honey Moon Itinerary

Hi I went to Venice and Lake Garda for my honeymoon but then I have been to Italy before, more than once, and live in the UK so not so far to go.

It seems very odd to miss Rome out to me but depends on what sort of people you are, your budget, if you are wanting to pack as much in as poss in case you dont get to come back and how much rushing around you like to do. I would consider Venice, Florence and Rome, 2 days in each, drop Lake Como and day in Tuscan countryside alas, I would pick out what I wanted to do in each place, maybe three things, 2 per day, one morning and one afternoon and allowing time to just stroll around and soak up the atmosphere for half a day. You can easily get to Pisa from Florence if you like, that is a half day trip. That should allow time for romantic evening meals or nightlife and you can go to Amalfi at the end for rest and relaxation. The Sorrento area is very popular but Capri might be slightly less busy, again depends what your after. Haven't been to that part recently enough to give you specific resort advice I'm afraid.

You wont see everything whatever you do but you'll get a good flavour of this extraordinary country. As I believe you are from the USA, if I was you I would concentrate on seeing things I you're unlikely to see the like of in your own country, hence I'd leave out a trip to the Tuscan countryside because, though it is very lovely indeed, you do have magnificent scenery in north america to say the very least, but as I say it is very much dependent on you, your partner and circumstances.

My best wishes to you both anyway.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,966 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Need Help Completing Honey Moon Itinerary

Auguri phil2525 – Congrats!

When in the summer? – The summer is brutally hot in Sicily and Southern Italy. August is an especially hot and crowded time to visit since Italians holiday in summer and flee the cities for the lakes, mountains, and coast.

Capri is very expensive and very touristy – Consider Ischia as a beautiful, but less touristy alternative.

You might begin further south and work your way north as the heat increases in the south.

Lake Como deserves more than a day trip – Consider is as a destination.

The Dolomites are stunning and romantically beautiful - With summer's heat, Northern Italy is an ideal destination.

Best Wishes!

Vagabonda

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,139 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need Help Completing Honey Moon Itinerary

From Venice Lake Garda is doable in a day, a lovely Lake, but a shame to take a day away from Venice, do not look for more destinations add to the ones you already have,

10. Re: Need Help Completing Honey Moon Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 November 2012, 10:19