We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italy itinerary advice

Christchurch
Level Contributor
1,693 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Italy itinerary advice

Before I make some bookings could I please have some advice on whether my itinerary could be improved. We will be coming to Italy from France in early June 2012. This is how it looks so far:

Fly from Paris to Venice for 3 nights. It is an evening flight so we will have two full days in Venice.

Venice to Cinque Terre on the train for 2 nights - 1 full day in CT.

Cinque Terre to Florence for 4 nights with a day trip to Siena while we are there - 2 full days Florence.

Florence to Rome for 4 nights before flying home late on the last day - 4 full days in Rome. We would like to do a day trip to Pompeii while we are there if possible.

I am wondering whether it would be better to fly to Florence from Paris for 5 or 6 nights and do a day trip to Venice on the train. It will be easier and hopefully cheaper being based in Florence but will we regret not staying in Venice?

Any thoughts on our plans would be much appreciated.

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,468 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Italy itinerary advice

I think your itinerary looks fine and you would regret not staying in Venice.

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
450 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Italy itinerary advice

I think that your itinerary looks fine, a little rushed for my kind of travel, but doable. With only two full days in Florence I would suggest that you look into purchasing the Firenza Card that allows you free entrance at the head of the lines for the museums and galleries. With only two days I would imagine you would rather not spend them standing in line.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,482 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Italy itinerary advice

I too would suggest that you stay in Venice rather than taking a day trip from Florence, for two reasons.

Firstly, the fast trains between Florence and Venice take just over 2 hours each way. You have only a short time in Italy, and it would be a pity to waste 4 hours sitting in a train on a day trip, especially as the scenery is not very interesting.

Secondly, one of the joys of staying in Venice is the ability to walk around in the evening, after the cruise passengers and day-trippers have left. It is magic.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Italy itinerary advice

Your itinerary looks fine. Do spend time in Venice rather than seeing it on a day trip.

Unless you plan to visit a large number of museums in Florence, the Firenze Card is not the cheapest way to skip museum lines. You can book timed-entry tickets online or by phone for the Accademia and the Uffizi, the only museums where there are generally lines. There are lines at the Duomo as well, but it's not included in the Firenze Card.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,191 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Italy itinerary advice

Day trip Rome to Pompeii

Train www.trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html to Naples transfer to lower basement station to the www.vesuviana.it train for Pompeii Scavi which is at the entrance to Pompeii excavations

Edited: 17 December 2011, 06:02
Christchurch
Level Contributor
1,693 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Italy itinerary advice

Thanks everyone, we will stay in Venice as planned rather than make it a day trip. I agree that the itinerary is a bit rushed so we may yet drop Cinque Terre to gain a few days elsewhere.

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,468 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Italy itinerary advice

Foxy, I agree with dropping CT and adding a day to Venice and a day to Rome (or to Florence which would allow for a day trip to Lucca/Pisa).

8. Re: Italy itinerary advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2012, 10:16