We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 Days to Spend in Italy

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
8 Days to Spend in Italy

My husband and I are planning a trip to Italy for 8 days before going to Beirut Lebanon. We want to visit Venice and Rome for sure and if possible a 3rd city. Is it possible to see 3 cities in 8 days? We will also be traveling with a 2 year old. I'm open to itinerary suggestions /ideas.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 Days to Spend in Italy

With eight days and a 2-year-old, less is probably more. If you're going on to Beirut, you'll probably have to fly into and out of the same airport in Italy, which means backtracking and time lost. If push came to shove, you could spend a day in Florence, storing your luggage at the train station and moving on to Venice or Rome with an evening train, but I wouldn't suggest it with a toddler.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 Days to Spend in Italy

Thank you. So do recommend maybe staying in Florence for our stay and then just taking day trips to Rome and Venice? We were thinking 3 places maybe a bit much, so we will most likely do 2 cities

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,843 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 Days to Spend in Italy

There is more than enough to do in Florence for 8 days, but I am not sure that a 2year old is going to find musuems and old churches much fun.

For an 8 day trip Rome is a better bet.

With or without a 2 year old days trips to Rome or Venice from Florence are not advised.

You also realize that Italian restrooms do not usually have changing tables, and bathrooms themselves are scarce making finding one with a toddler who has to go difficult?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 Days to Spend in Italy

I'd see if you could stay in Venice. Maybe drives to Lake Garda or the Dolmonites. Then train to Florence ( fast train) and then fast train to Rome.

Not sure if self driving or train but distance to Bolzano ( Dolmanite area) is 2hrs 38 mins and then back down to Sirmione on the bottom of Lake Garda is 1hr 45 mins. Then about 2 hrs back to Venice. All by car. Also depends on the time of the year and if you like the outdoors and lake.

I spent 5 nights in Florence and unless you are heavily into the arts and history I am sure less time would be OK. Doing say the Ufizzi Gallery with a 2 year old may be a problem as there is nothing of interest for the child and there would be queues and time taken to see it all.

Driving distances

Venice to Florence 3hrs by fast train 2hrs

Florence to Rome 2hrs 48 mins by fast train 1hr 30 mins or maybe less

All to consider.

Have a nice time

5. Re: 8 Days to Spend in Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2013, 10:17