We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeking a long term family holiday location!

8 posts
Save Topic
Seeking a long term family holiday location!

Help from the trip advisor clan please!

We are family of 4 (children are 5 and 3) . We are looking for 4*+ style self catering rental which could be our 'regular' annual holiday. Big foodies and love shopping and cooking at home from local shops.

Drawn to less populated areas vs tourist centres, delighted to be the minority of English speakers so we can use our Italian (basic but not afraid to try hard and encourage kids to try too). Pre-children we stayed in Sovicelle near Siena which we adored and similar to our honeymoon in hills of Corsica 15 mins drive from coast. Also pre kids did Milan, Florence, Genoa, Rome, Naples and Bologna so ruling those out.

Pool is a must, hire car travel not a problem. We live in a small village in the country in uk, so the kids love outdoors, exploring woods, swimming, building camps, anything to do with farms eg tractors, animals, also crafts, painting, hands on, hands dirty etc None of us enjoy shopping or too many crowds, although isolation is not desirable either as it would be great for the kids to meet and play with others from different countries. .....even writing this I am wondering how the heck we will find something!!!!!!

Any advice for rentals or as I noted some posts advising that family run hotels or agrotourism are often better quality and cheaper, I have an open mind to these too. Budget up to €1000 max per week for accommodation.

thanks indeed travellers!

Chillihaze

Mentioned in this post
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Corsica
Corsica
France
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Genoa
Genoa
Italian Riviera, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Naples
Naples
Province of Naples, Italy
Bologna
Bologna
Province of Bologna, Italy
Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
450 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeking a long term family holiday location!

You may wish to check out www.anticavetreria.it/ which is the website for a villa and 4 apartments that were created out of a 750 year old glass blowing factory several years ago. about your budget depending on time of year and which self-catering apartment you reserve. Beautiful travertine pool in the small village of Piegaro, just over the Umbrian border from Tuscany, 14 Ks east of Chiusi and 25 ks west of Perugia in the heart of the Umbrian hill towns. This villa is the only tourist rental in the small town (other than a small boutique hotel) that includes everything on your list in the way of parks, small stores, weekly open air market and an ATM. We stayed there for two weeks last September and it was really wonderful, you really are part of the town. We are going back for a week in July this year with a larger family party, but absolutely loved it. We also plan on making this our long term base for future years. Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Chiusi
Chiusi
Province of Siena, Italy
Perugia
Perugia
Province of Perugia, Italy
Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,872 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeking a long term family holiday location!

Chillihaze,

This may help slowtrav.com/italy/tuscany/hs_planning.htm

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeking a long term family holiday location!

Hi there

You could try the homelidays website.

Kind Regards

Merran

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
13,130 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seeking a long term family holiday location!

Check out www.holiday-rentals.co.uk and other websites such as www.homelidays.co.uk

Both offer direct from owners rentals. These websites are NOT agencies. You deal with the owners directly.

It is a personal thing with myself but I use these sites often for rental properties throughout europe and generally try to rent from expat brit/irish owners. This is generally that I find the quality of the properties and furnishings/facilities are better when the properties are peoples real second homes rather than somebody looking to maximise holiday rental income.

As you have already mentioned that you don't want to be isolated get the exact locations. Many properties advertised for Tuscany are in fact very isolated often not even close to a 1 horse town. Many "owners" use too much of a poetic licence when describing location generally.

Also exact time of year may be an issue, €1000 buys you a lot less in August than May.

Also location as €1000 gets you a lot in Puglia but not so in Tuscany or Sardinia.

I would suggest you browse the above websites to see what you may get for your money then come back with any more questions/issues

Mentioned in this post
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Seeking a long term family holiday location!

Wow thanks indeed, I can't wait to browse the suggestions. I omitted to post time of year, it will be in peak seasons due to school holidays, so the budget will not go very far I think! Off to browse, thanks so much indeed for all replies.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seeking a long term family holiday location!

Hi there

A book which may help also is - DK Backroads Italy - I have the French equivalent and it helped us enormously for exploring out of the way places.

Kind Regards

Merran

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Seeking a long term family holiday location!

Thanks so much Mike, found Antica, perfect, great testimonials and pics with families with happy engaged children might just clinch the deal :-)

8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Seeking a long term family holiday location!

Thanks travelsitaly, found it, what a great recommendation! hours of browsing :-)

8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Seeking a long term family holiday location!

Thanks Merran, had not seen this website before and a quick enquiry using great search tool popped up 5 fantastic options, hmmm Antica vs...... What is the collective noun for perfect Italian properties??!!

10. Re: Seeking a long term family holiday location!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2013, 10:17