We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused with train transportation

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
109 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Confused with train transportation

Planning a year in advance but need some clarification please! My husband,myself and our 11 yr old daughter will be spending approx 3 wks in Italy. Our plan is:

Arrive in Venice for 3 nts

Train to Florence for 5 nts, while there train to Pisa/Lucca for day

Train to Castaglion Fiorentino for 5 nts in Tuscany

Train to Amalfi Coast area for 5 nts

Train to Rome for 4 nts and fly home from Rome

Will this all be the same type of train? Is it best to get a pass of some sort? Will I need to book train trips in advance? Any transportation advice would be a huge help! Thank-you!

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
9,852 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confused with train transportation

The official train website is: www.trenitalia.com, no need for a pass. The fast trains have reserved coach & seat, which you can buy from an agent or one of the kiosks in the station. 2nd Class is fine.

There's a regional train from Florence SMN station to Pisa, its about 1 hr and less than 6 Euro. Not sure about Lucca of Castaglion Fiorentino.

Recently, I was in Naples and after 6 days would be traveling to Florence, so I booked my ticket on line and got the mini fare for 36 Euro (as opposed to 72 Euro). Keep in mind tho, if you miss the train you much purchase another ticket. GAC as written a wonderful post regarding train travel, tickets, etc., I'll try and find it.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
287 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confused with train transportation

Sounds like a very good trip.

First of all, when travelling by train in Italy you need (a) a ticket AND (b) on all but the smaller regional lines, a reservation. The ticket just covers the travel between point A and point B; a reservation books a specific seat on a particular train departing at a specified time on a particular day. Train passes would take care of the tickets for your family, but you would still need to make reservations. So it's not like with a train pass you can just walk on to any old train you choose, especially since you're going to mostly be travelling on the main routes that require reservations. In other words, a train pass isn't necessarily as convenient as you might think.

So the real question is, can you save money with a train pass? You would usually need to travel quite a bit for this to be the case. That appears to be what you're doing, so it's at least worth investigating to see if it will be worthwhile. What I did before my Italy trip last year was I went to the TrenItalia site (www.trenitalia.com) and put in each train trip to find out its cost, added up the total, and compared it to the cost of a pass. (It turned out the pass was worthwhile for my trip, saving me about $150.)

You may be able to get a better deal by booking ahead, but it's not absolutely necessary. Check to see if you're travelling during any major Italian holidays, as the trains tend to be extremely busy on those days and that could make pre-booking worthwhile.

One last thing: If you travel by train from Napoli to Sorrento as part of your visit to the Amalfi Coast, you will be taking the local Circumvesuviana commuter train, which is not covered by train passes. Check its web site for more information: http://www.vesuviana.it/web/en.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,896 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Confused with train transportation

If you buy train tickets from Trenitalia (whether online or at a train station), the ticket includes a seat reservation on those trains that require seat reservations. Only passholders need to make a seat reservation separately, at a cost of €10 on the fastest trains.

You can get train times and costs from www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html and for information about online booking, see roninrome.com/%20transportation/booking-on-t…

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,374 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Confused with train transportation

Castaglion Fiorentino is in between Arezzo and Cortona (Camucia) by train. However, once you are in Castaglion Fiorentino, how will you travel about as it is a small town a bit out of the way? Obviously you could take the train to either Arezzo or Cortona for day trips but a car in this area tends to be best.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
109 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Confused with train transportation

Thank-you so much for your help, it is becoming less muddy! I think I am confused between the 'high speed' trains and the regional trains and which ones go where, thankfully we do not travel for a year a a half so have some time to get all of the details down! As for Castiglion Fiorentino.....I want to stay at Casa Portagiao B&B as the reviews and website are fantastic. I think they will pick us up from the train and take us back but I need to clarify how we can get into Cortona and area while we are there. We are hoping that we will have some 'down time' and lounge by their pool but will want to explore a little as well. Thanks for the advice! There will be many more questions to come!!

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,155 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Confused with train transportation

The AV trains run between the major cities in Italy. The Regional trains are the oldest and slowest trains used. They're used for the small towns and villages that are not served by the high speed trains. CT is a good example where Regional trains serve.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,485 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Confused with train transportation

<< The Regional trains are the oldest and slowest trains ... used for the small towns and villages that are not served by the high speed trains. >>

Or for entire orphan regions, like Le Marche.

8. Re: Confused with train transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2013, 10:20