We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A villa close to village suitable for 4 women?

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
173 reviews
Save Topic
A villa close to village suitable for 4 women?

Hi, group,

I'm considering booking a villa for a group of about 4 girlfriends this spring or autumn. Ages 50-70. No mobility concerns. I've been to Italy quite a few times and I'm willing to try new or familiar locales. Here is what we are looking for and I'd love any input if anyone on TA has personal experience with a property that sounds like a good fit. I undestand that I can check Venere, VRBO, TA rentals, Homelidays, etc., but I'd like someone here who has personally stayed in the property to tell me positive/drawbacks.

1. Very near a village or town, hopefully close enough to walk, or on a local bus route within 5-10 minutes of town so that we don't have to deal with a rental car each time we want to go for a meal or the market. The village should have at least a few cafes, trattorie, markets and shops. At least one weekly outdoor market.

2. Within an hour or 1.5 hours of a major airport. We will rent one or 2 cars. With women and luggage, probably 2.

3. VILLA: Minimum 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms (with 2+ showers.) At least 4-5 very comfortable beds, no sofa bed counts. A private swimming pool (not shared with other units/owners/guests. I love to cook, so a fairly well-outfitted kitchen. Free wifi on property. If we go in September when it is hot, we want a/c. Otherwise, not important to me if we go April, May or October. I'll risk the weather then.

4. Budget is quite flexible.

5. Location quite flexible: Lake region (never been),Umbria, Tuscany, Puglia, but probably not Sicily (I was just there for 2+ weeks.).

Grazie mille,

Lana

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,831 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: A villa close to village suitable for 4 women?

Buon Anno lanago2!

I hesitate to post since I’d breaking your rule about having personally stayed at the property, but I do know someone who has, and it was fabulous!!

Palazzo Ducale Guarini is located in Scorrano (Puglia).

thinkpuglia.com/Palazzo-Ducale-Guarini.aspx

dimorestoricheitaliane.it/en/dimore/puglia/p…

Wishing you great travels in this new year....

Vagabonda

Edited: 02 January 2012, 19:03
Houston, TX
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A villa close to village suitable for 4 women?

Ciao, Vagabonda,

Buon Anno!

This property that you suggested is magnifico.

I plan to stay 2 weeks and offer this trip as a gift to 2, maybe 3, close girlfriends, 1 or 2 of whom may each come for one of the weeks. When I wrote that I am flexible about price, and while I adore my dear friends, $12,000+ for the villa alone is beyond my budget.

It truly is a fantastic property and if price were not a concern, I'd scoop it right up. I will write to them and see if they have part of the villa available for a lesser rate a bit off-season.

OK, let me be more specific, which is what we all ask of every poster. I'd like to find a property that is up to about 2500 euros weekly.

I'm thinking that the private pool is making my search far more challenging. I've looked lately and within properties up to E2500 weekly, I can't find a villa with a private pool that meets my other wishes. It's not like our good young days when we all wanted to be fairly naked around a pool, so it probably doesn't matter. I just don't want any children or loud, drunk, music-playing guests near us. Guess that's more in America, huh? ;-)

Perhaps I will rethink this and simply find a quiet outdoor space and covered patio/pergola. It will probably be lots cheaper and just as lovely. As we won't travel in the summer (kids.throngs,prices), the pool probably wouldn't get used anyway.

Now that I've seen "your" palazzo, everything else will look like the po' folks section of town!

Best wishes for a wonderful 2012,

Lana

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,413 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: A villa close to village suitable for 4 women?

That is a beautiful property - I always look at places that Vagabonda suggests even if I am not now considering visiting that particular area.

But, in looking at the prices, I did not see anywhere the price of $12,000 - but, still the average price was above the 2,500 euros, which is unfortunate.

If you haven't been to the lake district, I would think that would be a great choice - it is so beautiful near the lakes and then you would also have nice choices to take boats to various villages along the lake - whichever you choose. For two weeks, that sounds delightful -

Maybe you could search some companies renting villas, identify a few and then ask here about not only particular properties but also about experience with a particular company.

Have fun searching - it is part of the fun of planning.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A villa close to village suitable for 4 women?

Hi, Momcat,

During April/May, Vagabonda's suggested gorgeous Puglia villa is about $6,000 USD weekly. (Summer, it's $10,000 weekly). I plan to stay for 2 weeks, so that's why I wrote that it's about $12,000.

You're right, if Vagabonda suggests it, odds are it's great!

I'm going to rethink my plan--imagining the best holiday we could have and which amenities are really that important to us. You're right--planning is so much fun.

Happy New Year, all.

Lana

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,831 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: A villa close to village suitable for 4 women?

Thank you Lana!

The April and May low-season rates are more reasonably priced (€ 3,930), but still not €2.500 euro.

thinkpuglia.com/Palazzo-Ducale-Guarini.aspx

For sure the private pool drives up the rates – Rethink your plan for which amenities are really important to you, but also consider good value areas.

And good luck with the partial villa rates!

AsMomCat1992 suggested, the Lake District would be a great choice because you could easily explore the villages by ferry, but the lakes are also pricey.

Felice Anno Nuovo MomCat1992!

Vagabonda

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
450 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A villa close to village suitable for 4 women?

This may or may not be what you are looking for, but we loved it. www.anticavetreria.it is a converted 750 year old glass blowing factory in the small Umbrian hill town of Piegaro about 14 ks east of Chiusi and 25 ks west of Perugia. The building has all new plumbing. wiring, kitchens, etc for a villa (5 bed/5 Bath) and 4 apartments ranging in size and cost. The beautiful travertine pool does serve all of the units, but when we were there for two weeks in September, we did not find that to be a problem. You are less than 50 meters from the town piazza and have two restaurants, a small boutique hotel, a bank branch and 24 hour ATM, a bakery, 2 bars, a general store, weekly outdoor market, a geletaria, good parking, real safety and a new glass arts museum, but virtually (besides yourselves) no tourists. There are parks, walking trails and very friendly people. We are going back with a larger group next July.

We also found it very handy for day trips to Volterra, Siena, Pienza, Montepulciano, Montalcino, Cortona, Orvieto, Assisi, Citta della Pieve, Perugia, Deruta. Todi, Panicale, Torgiano, Castigliano del Lago, Lake Transimeno and a host of the small hill towns of southern Tuscany and Central Umbria.

Colleen and Tom (originally from Seattle) have put together a wonderful place and live in the small town also, so you have onsite helps with whatever you need. Also, the lemon risotto at Osteria Juni alone is worth the trip. Hope this helps.

Edited: 02 January 2012, 22:27
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,413 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: A villa close to village suitable for 4 women?

Happy New Year to you too Vagabonda - and everyone!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,831 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: A villa close to village suitable for 4 women?

Grazie mille MomCat1992!

You might try these sites....

http://www.anticavetreria.net/

tripadvisor.com/…CHECK_RATES_CONT

Vagabonda

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
10,486 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A villa close to village suitable for 4 women?

I think you also need to browse the various websites such as www.holiday-rentals.co.uk

You also have to realise that websites like holiday-rentals and homelidays are NOT agencies. Some people mistakenly believe that these websites are "agents" and are therefore responsible for the properties on their website. They are not. They are purely advertising sites for private/business owners. You deal directly with the "owners". All financial transactions/agreements are with the "owners".

Each owner has their own T&Cs so check carefully. Some people have been taken aback by some of the "rules" regarding deposit payments, final payments etc. Also some owners take a bit of poetic licence when describing location so ensure you get exact address.

People often use the term "Lake District" for the area around Maggiore ( whereas the "Lake District" is infact an area in britain) - you could also consider Lake Garda area if interested in a lake area.

It is a personal thing but I have found wherever I rent in europe that renting from people whose property is their REAL second home you get better facilites and all those extras you are looking for. Personally I start with expat brits/irish.

There are some people who are only looking to maximize rental potential. "Luxury Villa" on some adverts is a much overused term. The exterior/villa looks great but interior/facilites leaves a lot to be desired.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,831 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: A villa close to village suitable for 4 women?

There is a difference between renting from an agency and renting from a popular online rental site like Holiday Lettings, VRBO, Homelidays, Holiday-Rentals, Home Away, or Owner’s Direct....

Online rental sites are listing websites. Since you would rent from the owner of the property, experiences would vary from rental to rental, and from owner to owner. Some rental agencies also list on these rental sites.

It’s important to select a villa that has been advertised for a number of years and has reviews written by previous guests over a long period of time – Do your homework here.

“Before revealing some secrets of the rental-property and vacation home trade, let's establish exactly what it is that you're looking for with contemporary definitions of a few terms used in the Italian property-rental market.”

http://www.bestofsicily.com/villas.htm

It’s fairly safe to assume on the Italy forums that “Lake District” refers to the Italian Lake District - Lake Como ~ Lake Maggiore ~ Lake Garda ~ Lake Iseo ~ Lake Orta ~ Lake Trasimeno ~ Lake Bolsena....

http://www.italianvisits.com/lakes/

frommers.com/destinations/…1949010001.html

Vagabonda