We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

11 days with 13 and 12-year old boys

Livingston, nj
13 posts
Save Topic
11 days with 13 and 12-year old boys

Greetings,

My wife and I are taking our 13 and 12-year old boys to Italy. We'll be there in mid August. We know that's not the best time but that's about the only time we can make work.

I'd appreciate itinerary help! We know we'll go to Rome, probably for 4 nights. My son wants to go to Pompeii so that would probably add a 5th day to Rome. We are trying to figure out what else to do.

Neither of my boys will go near an art gallery. I've read for this reason that Florence, for all its magnificence, is probably a city to avoid for teen boys. One cathedral will be their limit. And as beautiful as the country is I have also read advise to avoid the lakes as while beautiful it is not that much different then beautiful lakes and scenery elsewhere. Both boys are very 'active' so scenic drives won't work either.

My boys like what teen boys typically like: sports (soccer!), food, museums that allow touching, ruins, etc.

We were thinking of making 2 other stops: Venice for about 3 nights and then maybe Tuscany to explore the small towns such as Cortona.

I'd love recommendations! The big question is, aside from Rome, if you had to pick 2 other destinations, where would you go?

And, within a destination any further advise would be appreciated.

Once I figure out the itinerary I can figure out flights and hotels etc.

Thank you!

Eric

UK
Level Contributor
2,855 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 11 days with 13 and 12-year old boys

If you are in Italy on the 16th August how about taking your boys (who "don't do art, scenery and cathedrals") to the Palio in Siena?

www.youtube.com/watch…

2. Re: 11 days with 13 and 12-year old boys

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2013, 10:29