We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need recommendations. for 'albergo diffuso' in central Italy

NYC
Level Contributor
1 post
26 reviews
Save Topic
Need recommendations. for 'albergo diffuso' in central Italy

Hi Trip Advisor folks. We are headed to Rome in June, and must be in Edinburgh for an event by June 12. I am not concerned about the week in Rome, but between there and Edinburgh, I am really looking for a quiet, restful, authentically restored borgo or village hotel in which to spend a few days. Has anyone stayed within a few hours of Rome and had a good experience somewhere? I care less about amenities and more about local character and a place I can just relax and drink wine for three days. Mille grazie!

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
450 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need recommendations. for 'albergo diffuso' in central Italy

Well we will give it a try. 90 minutes north of Rome in Umbria is a small hill town called Piegaro. It is very non-touristy having one small boutique hotel (Ca' de' Principi www.dimorastorica.it ) where I have eaten and took a cooking class, but have not stayed there because we were staying in the only other tourist venue in town, a restored 750 year old glass blowing factory called L' Antica Vetreria www.anticavetreria.net that has a villa, 4 apartments and a pool.

Piegaro is a very interesting and unspoiled town of about 500 located 14 ks east of Chiusi and 25 ks west of Perugia right on the Umbrian/Tuscan border. (Also 40 ks north of Orvieto and 40 ks south of Cortona in the midst of dozens of delightful, and restful, small hill towns. For 750 years it was the glass blowing capitol of Umbria until 1960 when they closed the two factories and built a large Employee owned mechanized plan on the flat valley floor several ks away from the village. 50 years later one of the two plants was made into a villa and the other into a very nice small Museum venerating the centuries of glass work done in the village. Many of the worker/owners of what is now the third largest glass factory in Europe making 3 million bottles a day still live in the small town. Two restaurants, a bakery, a butcher, a bank, two bars, a general store, a gelateria and a open air market on Wednesdays. Oh, and on Thursday nights there is a free jazz concert in the piazza at Panicale, 7 ks away. We loved the village and I can arrange to get you pictures. Hope this helps.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need recommendations. for 'albergo diffuso' in central Italy

"Albergo diffuso" has become a marketing term. There's an association of alberghi diffusi:

http://www.alberghidiffusi.it/en

Some are the real thing; some were simple agriturismi until "albergo diffuso" caught on.

And some places were alberghi diffusi long before the term caught on.

Edited: 05 January 2012, 04:59
3. Re: Need recommendations. for 'albergo diffuso' in central Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2013, 10:18