We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apartment rental what if no wifi as promised?

Level Contributor
905 posts
Save Topic
Apartment rental what if no wifi as promised?

I read TA Italy and the prospects of an apartment rental instead of a hotel sound interesting.  But what if this happens:

The agent and I meet at the apartment which has promised that it has wifi. As i am looking around I turn on my ipad and try to get on line.  The sniffer says that there is no wifi or maybe there is but it's locked and the agent has no key. Wifi is very important to me.  So if there is no wifi after many attempts and shoulder shruggs what can I do? Call Ghostbusters? Get a hotel room and play phone tag for days?  Accept the apartment and play phone tag for days? Or is the best remedy the preemptive one: rely on recommendations out the outset?     

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,878 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Apartment rental what if no wifi as promised?

It seems a pretty unlikely event, but in any case just about everywhere in Italy has internet cafes with computers and free wifi spots.

Level Contributor
905 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Apartment rental what if no wifi as promised?

Based on what?

It seems a pretty unlikely

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,372 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Apartment rental what if no wifi as promised?

You could also buy a prepaid microSIM from vodaphone or Tre (3) for something like 5 euros for 3Gb of data.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,247 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Apartment rental what if no wifi as promised?

Often apts don't have everything that is promised. You then have to make a split second decision to accept or find other accomodations. There is always the internet cafe.

I myself after some less than fully successful apt rentls, try to rent apts that only have reviews at sights where I know they do not censor outr the neagative ones. I have emailed reviewer and aksed then questions befreo plunging on.

Level Contributor
905 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Apartment rental what if no wifi as promised?

Thanks

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Apartment rental what if no wifi as promised?

When doing more or less the opposite thing, whilst visiting Britain, we got ourselves a prepaid dongle with 3GB of traffic over 3 months - which worked well, and was easy to renew the next time...

…three.co.uk/view/…2291

Dig through the Italy forums and you'll find posts from those who've used the local equivalent?

Peter

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,220 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Apartment rental what if no wifi as promised?

We have had apartments that promised but the reality was more difficult. We needed to adjust things ourselves on occasions but that was some time ago. Last apartment in Rome did not advertise wifi but had unlimited and free.

Indicate to the rental agency that this is important to you and have confirmation in writing. Check on arrival and if you can't get it. with-hold the apartment rental until it is configured. I would tell them you intend to do this in advance and see if they are agreeable.

Or arrange a dongle, or at least know where to get one if all else fails.

8. Re: Apartment rental what if no wifi as promised?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2013, 10:22