We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental Question

Simcoe, Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental Question

We want to pick up a rental car in Siena and drop off in Orvieto, keeping the car for a period of 6 days. Hertz has this available for a rate of 250 euros. My question is what additional costs should I expect at time of pickup? Insurance is included but then there are additional insurances to purchase that are optional...do I need these? I don't totally understand all the conditions that I'm reading on the site and I was wondering if someone who has rented recently from Hertz can give me some bottom line total cost info so we aren't unpleasantly surprised when we get to the Hertz desk.

Likely To Sell Out
Vatican Museums Skip the Line Tour...
23,462 Reviews
from US$81.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Sistine Chapel VIP Private Viewing...
538 Reviews
from US$409.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany 1-Day Sightseeing Tour with...
6,909 Reviews
from US$111.70*
Special Offer
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Skip the...
11,832 Reviews
from US$60.30*
US$67.00
Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,686 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental Question

Be sure you have both collision and liability insurance. When you're in a foreign country you can use about all you can get should something happen. I usually purchase the optional insurance.

Be sure to get your International Driver's Permit (IDP) from AAA before you go also. They're about $15.

Simcoe, Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental Question

Thanks jerryott, the additional insurance is about another 170 euros so it almost doubles the car rental but I guess it's worth it. Are there any other " surprise " fees we might be hit with? After reading some of the posts about car rental I'm a little suspicious.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
93,408 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental Question

Whether you need to purchase additional insurance depends on what coverage you have through your travel insurance or through insurance provided with a credit card.

However, if you rely on your own insurance and the car gets damaged, you will have to pay the insurance excess (deductible) and then claim a refund from your insurance.

I have rented from Hertz in Italy, and have not been charged any unexpected fees.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,712 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental Question

Much of the information re Hertz additionals is in a panel to the right of the screen when you have selected your car. Interesting that if you take out their CDW there is still an excess of €300 that you pay if you damage the car.

Just take precautions, like making sure damage is listed before you take the car, that you get the car checked and signed off at return and that you keep the gas bill from your fill up before return. The places you have chosen to rent and return the car have limited hours on the weekend and may not have automatic cars if this is important to you. And you need a CC to rent their cars, not a Debit Card.

Simcoe, Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental Question

Is it possible to even rent an automatic in Italy? I was under the impression that we would only be able to rent a manual. I just picked those spots for ease of pickup and drop off but we could change if we could get an automatic. We will be leaving Venice on a Friday, by train, heading to anywhere close to Siena. We will be staying in a Castello just outside of Siena, then driving to Gubbio in Umbria to stay at another Castello, leaving there on a Wednesday to head to Rome. Drop off could be anywhere on the way to Rome. I only want to avoid driving the car anywhere in a larger city in order to avoid the ZTL's . Any suggestions on alternate pick up and drop off areas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help Lynn

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Umbria
Umbria
Italy
Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,686 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental Question

Yes, you can rent an automatic but they cost dearly. Orvieto & Chiusi are great places to drop off cars because the car rental office is close to the train stations. (Hertz)

Simcoe, Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental Question

How about a pick up site? Somewhere that is close to a rail station would also be good.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,712 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental Question

Must admit we return to FCO and take the €40 taxi to our hotel. Worth it in my opinion, but I am getting old and creaky. I don'y want to have to take a train and then a taxi.

I believe the Siena car rentals are near the station. Just watch the Saturday/Sunday closures when airports are about the only place open.

Edited: 31 January 2012, 01:30
9. Re: Car Rental Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2013, 10:28