We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a better time of day to travel by train

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
605 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Is there a better time of day to travel by train

I realize this might be subjective but I would welcome some practical advice. We will be spending 14 days in Italy and will be arriving in Rome, then onto Florence and departing from Venice. After reading some of the other postings we have decided that we will travel by train from Rome to Florence and Florence to Venice.

The question is it better to enjoy a full day in Rome for example and then head to Florence in the evening, and so on. Or might it be more advantageous to get an early train and then have an almost full day in the next city.

I realize that different trains take different travel times, but generally is it better to travel early in the day rather than later. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there a better time of day to travel by train

Personally, I prefer to take an early-morning train. Most hotels and B&Bs will let you leave your luggage even if they can't check you in.

Evening trains don't run very late (unless you want to arrive in a strange city at 1 or 2 am, which most people don't). The last reasonable train out of Rome to Florence leaves at 8:45 pm (too early to have dinner in a decent restaurant before leaving) and arrives at 10:18 pm (too late to have dinner).

Edited: 09 February 2012, 05:50
Piacenza, Italy
Level Contributor
661 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there a better time of day to travel by train

You said it right, this can be personal. In general, I also prefer to take early morning trains, because it's easier to find trains in the first hours of the morning than late in the evening... se the example that Zerlina made.

Consider that if you go with fast trains, almost all trains running on the ways you're going to do are fast trains, you don't have to think about the train being full and so on, since there's reservation. In regional trains the situation can be else, since in the morning there are lots of ppl using them to go to work, so it may be difficult to move with luggages for example.

3. Re: Is there a better time of day to travel by train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2013, 10:25