We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our Italy Itinerary - travel advice needed!

Red Deer, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Our Italy Itinerary - travel advice needed!

Hi everyone! Thanks in advance for your help!

So my husband and I are travelling to Paris and Italy in May. We land in Paris on May 2 and we fly home out of Rome on May 24. I've booked a flat in Paris for 4 nights (checking out May 6) and I have also booked a place in Venice checking in May 6 and checking out May 10. The only other place I've booked is Rome checking in May 19 and checking out May 24.

So here is what I was thinking for our itinerary:

- Paris - May 2 to 6 - fly to Venice (any advice on best airline and when to book?)

- Venice - May 6 to 10 - train to Florence?

- Florence - May 10 to 13 - train to Cinque Terre?

- Cinque Terre - May 13 to 16 - train to Amalfi?

- Amalfi Coast - May 16 to 19 - train to Rome?

- Rome - May 19 to 24 - fly home

I have really no experience with public transport, never mind in Italian! So any help with that would be GREATLY appreciated. I debated whether we should just pick one of either Cinque Terre or Amalfi Coast, but I really want to see both. I'm aware that the travel from Cinque Terre will be a long day of travel, but I am ok with that. When we are at the Amalfi coast we really want to see Pompeii. Any other towns or sites we shouldn't miss? And where is the best place to stay on the Amalfi Coast? Which town is best in the Cinque Terre?

Thanks so much for your help! :)

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,206 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our Italy Itinerary - travel advice needed!

You'll get lots of differing opinions on this one. Here's mine.

For information about trains check out roninrome.com/transportation/the-train-stati…

The "best" place to stay on the Amalfi Coast is really subjective. Some people like crowds, high end shopping (read:25 euros for a t-shirt), and things like that. We don't. We avoid crowds if possible. Positano was probably very nice back in the 60's and 70's, but today it is extremely crowded. We stay in Praiano which is between Positano and Amalfi. You can catch a small bus (Flvavio Goia) to Positano from Praiano about every hour. You can catch SITA buses to Amalfi, Sorrento, etc. on the main road.

To get to Pompeii you can take a bus to Sorrento and catch the Circumvesuviana train. Get off at Pompeii Scavi stop, exit the station, turn right, and walk about 50 yards to the entrance to the ruins.

Praiano is a small fishing village, quiet, not crowded, the same great views of the sea from your hotel, several good restaurants, and less expensive.

http://www.hotelmargherita.info/ Great place, family run, good restaurant, and it has a pool.

On the AC, Vernazza got really hammered by the flooding and is still recovering. Same with Monterosso but their recovery is going much faster.

You might consider Riomaggiore which was hardly touched by the flooding last year.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,211 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our Italy Itinerary - travel advice needed!

Fly Paris to Venice www.easyjet.com

Venice airport transfer bus www.atvo.it

www.trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html train connects Venice - Florence - Cinque Terre - Naples - Rome.

Enter the name of a CT village for destination ie: Monterosso

Naples train station transfer to the lower basement station and take the www.vesuviana.it train to Sorrento

The Vesuviana train also takes you to Pompeii Scavi from Sorrento

Amalfi coast bus operates from Sorrento to Salerno and Amalfi to Ravello

sitabus.it/sitabus/…QUADROXV.pdf

Trenitalia train from Sorrento or Salerno will take you to Paestum and the Greek temples

Ferry www.coopsantandrea.com

www.capri.net

From Florence Trenitalia train to Pisa and Lucca

Siena bus www.busfox.com/timetable

San Gimignano sitabus.it/sita-toscana/…20gimignano2010.pdf

Trenitalia train from Venice to Verona

Accommodation www.venere.com

www.parisinfo.com

www.turismovenezia.it

www.discovertuscany.com

www.cinqueterreonline.com

www.amalficoastweb.com

www.romeinfo.com

Edited: 11 February 2012, 04:23
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our Italy Itinerary - travel advice needed!

My favorite village in Cinque Terre is Monteresso, which has the best beaches. I would do more research regarding the post-flood situation though for the CT. Hopefully you will be able to enjoy it as much as I did last year!

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Our Italy Itinerary - travel advice needed!

Consider train from Venice to Cinque Terre, then to Florence, then to the Amalfi Coast: you'll waste less time on trains. Depending on where you choose on the Amalfi Coast, train Florence to Salerno, then Coop Sant'Andrea boat from the Concordia dock a few hundred yards from the train station is a pleasant way to arrive.

5. Re: Our Italy Itinerary - travel advice needed!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2013, 19:49