We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking to rent a large villa for week, what am I missing?

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
26 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Looking to rent a large villa for week, what am I missing?

We are looking to rent a house somewhere in Italy this summer that sleeps 13. We've found a bunch of stuff sniffing around the internet, but nothing that really fits the bill. Are there real estate agents who specialize in this sort of thing who might be able to find us what we are looking for? I feel like there are probably great houses out there and we're just not finding them. We ideally would like to be less than 4 hours from Rome and we have some other parameters, but at this point, we are pretty open minded, just want a really nice place in walking distance to any small town (we don't want to have to drive to get our morning espresso.) Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking to rent a large villa for week, what am I missing?

Real-estate agents don't deal with short-term rentals; rental agencies do.

Within four hours of Rome includes a large chunk of Italy, including Tuscany, Umbria and the Sorrentine peninsula (aka the Amalfi Coast). If you narrow your search down to one area, Google will find you the main agencies. Some are good at working with you, some not so good.

A villa within walking distance of a village is everyone's dream. Unfortunately, it's not very realistic: villas for 13 people within walking distance of a village, particularly if you want things like a barbecue, a garden and a pool, are almost as scarce as hen's teeth.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
10,110 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking to rent a large villa for week, what am I missing?

To get a larger choice try www.holiday-rentals.co.uk it is part of the www.homeaway.co.uk

This has many sister sites such as www.vrbo.com and www.homeaway.com and the german www.fewo-direkt.de

The www.homeaway.com site solely appears to convert the adverts into $ and also gets less hits than the www.homeaway.co.uk site.

others

www.ownersdirect.co.uk

www.holidaylettings.co.uk

It is important that you understand that these websites are just advertising sites for individual owners. They are NOT agencies.

You will find some agencies advertise on these sites.

As such you are dealing directly with the "Owner" and terms and conditions vary owner to owner. Your contract will be with the "Owner"

You will often find that you are required to pay a hefty deposit (e.g. 30%) and the balance 6-8weeks before arrival. Often these transactions are via Bank transfer (quite normal in Europe although many non-europeans feel uncomfortable at not having the security of a credit card transaction).

It is important that you check T&Cs before booking. It is common practice in Italy for you to forfeit your deposit in the event of cancellation. You can also find you forfeit the whole amount if you cancel after the balance has been paid.

This is an "unwritten" law followed by many small Hotels/B&B and as it is unwritten it is taken for granted it is understood to be acceptable common practice and hence sometimes nothing written down. Many "owners" of properties follow similar "unwritten" laws.

As you are dealing directly with the owner your contract is with the owner and any disputes are with the Owner.

Some Americans were (wrongly) under the mpression that Holiday-rentals etc were an agent and were miffed when an owner let them down and were adamant that Holiday-rentals were responsible.

It is obvious to anybody that they are not an agency. Afterall they're worldwide websites with different affiliated websites for the same advertising and most importantly no money is exchanged. YOur contract is always with the owner

You should also note that even if you go through an agency your rights are not necessarily protected. Once an agency has your money they can wash their hands of you.

e.g.

Here's some T&Cs from an agent

florenceholidays.com/booking-procedure-tv.ht…

Take particular note of payments/cancellations and the following statements

"The Agency cannot be held responsible for the veracity and accuracy of any information ......................."

and washing their hands of responsiblity

"Any and all complaint relative to reservations and stays should be made directly to the owners of the accommodation facilities."

Personally when renting properties (and I use www.holiday-rentals.co.uk for various rentals around europe every year) I prefer to rent from british/irish owners where the property is their real second home. I find that the standard of the property (furnishings/facilities) is higher when it is somebody's real second home rather than someone looking solely to maximise rental potential.

Lastly always get the EXACT location of any property. Owners often take a bit of poetic licence when describing a properties location.

"ideally located for visiting xxxxxxx actually means stuck up a farm path in the middle of nowhere where the nearest bread shop is a 5km drive.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,064 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking to rent a large villa for week, what am I missing?

Hi there

You could also try the homelidays website.

Kind Regards

Merran

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,317 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking to rent a large villa for week, what am I missing?

This site, for example, has many places

http://www.tuscany-villas.it/~villas__pienza__.shtm

it also had a pop-up saying tell us what you are looking for and we will assist.

But the dream of being in easy walking distance may be an elusive one to realise, many of the villages and towns are high on a hill (originally defensive) and so a short wander in is difficult.

Pienza is on a scarp and so there are some relatively flat areas nearby. There are also some flat approaches to San Gimignano

www.tuscany-villas.it/vacation_rentals/60231/

www.tuscany-villas.it/vacation_rentals/57305/

5. Re: Looking to rent a large villa for week, what am I missing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 February 2012, 16:56
6. Re: Looking to rent a large villa for week, what am I missing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2013, 10:36