We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage and trains

Boston
Level Contributor
64 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Luggage and trains

It's the age old argument between women and men, are you taking THAT with us :)!!

When traveling on the train between Venice, Florence then Rome how difficult is it to drag a large piece of luggage (you can guess who's taking what) I'm planning on a carry on size for myself. The trip is for 10 days.

Thanks,

Bart

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luggage and trains

It is a real pain as there are some narrow, steep steps to get up into the trains and you have to be able to haul your bag up there. My guess is that you will probably end up hauling it up. They do not have people at the stations to help you board the trains.

Having too heavy luggage can really put a damper on a trip there - depending on where you plan on going. Especially in a city like Venice as there are bridges with steps all over that you would likely have to cross to get to your hotel.

If taking a huge bag (shudder to think of it actually) - see what the situation is at your chosen hotels re: steps; many have steps to enter the building, some of them in very old buildings may not have an elevator so be sure to check that detail.

There's just no reason to carry so much stuff - you can wash things along the way and anything you might forget, you can just pick up there.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,016 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luggage and trains

a large piece of luggage is insane for a trip this short -- we can do 3 mos on a carry on rollerboard in the summer -- we go up to a 24 incher for 3 mos bridging seasons including winter when large coats go into the bags

you have to lug the thing up stairs on metros and in train stations and the entrance to trains is steep -- no one should be schlepping more than they can wrestle up steep stairs and hoist onto a rack -- and of course if you have a large suitcase they have to go at the ends of the cars where they are more vulnerable to theft

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,420 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luggage and trains

We have the same issues. I drag the luggage all over because that makes her happy, but it is a great pain on the train.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luggage and trains

My husband and I both travel very light. I should maybe be on the side of your wife, but in this case, I wouldn't be the enabler if I were you. Tell her she'll be carrying her own bag onto the train.

I would suggest she take that large bag, full of something, to the mall and drag it around for half an hour, including taking it up the steps (not the escalator) and see if she changes her mind about what all she needs. When I'm going somewhere for 10 days, I take a little bag that can be put under the seat in front of me on the airplane.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,023 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luggage and trains

My wife and I travel light also...one roll-on each for 15 days, year after year; and she is stylish and well dressed throughout the trip! And I might add that she shops and buys many pieces of clothing and a few gifts to bring home in that same bag! Of course we leave a few old items of clothing in the trash on our departure...such is life! Oh...and we take trains joyfully.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,016 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luggage and trains

to make shopping abroad easier for those who do that sort of thing, it is easy to put an expansion bag into the carry on that can be used on the way back -- I don't get the 'throw away old clothes' approach as I have a few pieces of clothing that work really well for travel -- I am not hauling old junk I want to throw away but basics that are well thought out and tough and not easily replaced

adding an expandable duffle for the trip home is not difficult to manage and can contain the laundry while the new purchases go in the suitcase

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Luggage and trains

I also don't understand the "take old stuff and throw it away" habit. Both of my sisters discarded things when they left my house, and I'm still wearing some of the things they discarded!

Here's the luggage my husband and I took on a recent two-week trip:

https:/…5494141200686197842

All of it is carryon, although we usually check the larger pieces just to be free of them in the airports. All except the one largest bag will actually fit under the seat of even the smallest commuter airplane.

Boston
Level Contributor
64 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Luggage and trains

Thanks, you guys and ladies are the best!

Bart

9. Re: Luggage and trains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 00:40