We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary choices

Woodland Hills...
Level Contributor
94 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary choices

Wow, so many choices! 12 days in the spring to northern Italy. Can't decide what would be better for a family of 4, 2 adults and 2 boys 10 & 14. Main interests are architecture, ruins, art, and antiquities. Not afraid of public transport. Need input on two choices:

One: Fly into Milan Thursday. Stay to Monday am. Explore Milan and take a half day trip to Lake Como. Rent car Monday am, see friends in Brescia until Wednesday. Drive to Venice. Check out Verona and Padua on the way. Wednesday pm to Monday in Venice. Turn in car. Leave Monday.

OR

Two: Milan from Thursday to Saturday am. Train to Lake Como until Monday am. Train to Brescia to Wednesday am. Train to Verona one night. Thursday am train to Padua one night. Friday am train to Venice until Monday when we leave.

What would be more engaging for the boys, Milan or Lake Como? Is it realistic to travel by train to each city and are the main sites walking distance, or at least an inexpensive taxi ride? The only reason I have us staying the night in Padua and Verona each night is we dont want to drag around the bags while touring. Would it be better to go straight to Venice and do half day tours to those cities? So sorry about the long post and so sorry if you've already answered one of my many other posts :0 Just want to enjoy our shorth time there!

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary choices

Lake Como is scenic, but it doesn't have a great deal of architecture, ruins, art and antiquities; the boys might enjoy the Como-Brunate funicular, though. It would require a full day from Milan. The train is the most realistic way to travel: non-residents' cars are not allowed in the historic centers of cities, and parking - generally outside the center - is expensive. The historic centers of Padua and Verona are walkable, and there are buses. Verona would require, I think, a whole day, and Padua half a day; both are easily accessible by train from Venice. There is luggage storage at Verona Porta Nuova and Padua train stations.

I'd reduce hotel changes to a minimum and reserve only in Milan, on Lake Como (if you decide on two days) and in Venice.

Woodland Hills...
Level Contributor
94 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary choices

Thank you so much for your imput. That's what I thought about Lake Como. I think a day trip would be fine. I agree, from what I read, Verona could be a wole day. We could leave Brescia, take the train to Verona, store the luggage and tour. That night go straight to Venice and, as another person requested in a previous post, do a half day trip to Padua. Glad to hear that the car isnt a good idea. Not a big fan of driving in other countries.

3. Re: Itinerary choices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 20:42