We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking in northern Italy

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking in northern Italy

Hey,

I heard that northern Italy has some amazing hiking. Someone was telling me that it is possible to do multiple day hikes in the mountains. I don't have any camping equipment but they said that there are places along the trails to stay for the night. Does anyone know if this is true or where I can find some information?

Thanks!

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
11,393 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking in northern Italy

Yes there are places "Rifugio" along trails you can stay overnight. The Dolomites is a popular region for doing this.

These Rifugio (Refuges) can be basic (because of how isolated they are) or quite comfortable.

Here's some info

Consider the area around Alta Badia

altabadia.org/en-US/summer_holiday_dolomites…

This will give you an idea of Rifugio and mountain trails

altabadia.org/en-US/alta_badia_summer_maps.h…

Also consider the area around Merano

meranerland.com/en/…summer.html

General info

http://www.dolomiti.it/en/refuge/

http://www.dolomiti.it/en/itineraries/

Dates are highly important. Much of the Dolomites "shuts down" (businesses, lifts, accommodation) at the end of the skiing season (April) and is generally not fully up and running for the summer season until mid to late June (although some places will be open)

Suno, Italy
Level Contributor
248 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking in northern Italy

Hiking is also possible on the Alps in Piedmont and Aosta Valley.

Great places ifor hiking:

Parco Nazionale Gran Paradiso:

http://www.pngp.it/en

Parco Nazionale Valgrande:

parks.it/parco.nazionale.valgrande/Eindex.php

Parco Alpi Marittime:

www.parks.it/parco.alpi.marittime/Eindex.php

Parco Alta Valsesia:

www.parcoaltavalsesia.it/Alta%20Valsesia.htm (italian only, sorry!)

All these places are equipped with "Rifugio" along the trails , where you can sleep and eat.

Valgrande, which is the wildest of these parks, has few "Rifugio" only in the outside areas, but in its central part it's equipped with typical mountain huts, free shelters where you can sleep with your own sleeping bag and cook the food you have brought with you.

More info about these parks you will find in the indicated web pages .

If you decide to come here in Piedmont, you can also contact me, I can give you further info and advice.

Only pls consider that the Alps now are packed with snow, and hiking is not possible unless you are expert and fully equipped.

The tracks will be opened for hiking only in June (for low altitude, under 2000 m) or July (for higher altitude, above 2000 m).

Bye,

Stefano

Sardinia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking in northern Italy

As well as some of the websites linked above, I can highly recommend the outstanding range of hiking & trekking guides covering Italy written by Gillian Price.

cicerone.co.uk/author/…gillian-price

Some of our favourite huts that are particulary suited for multi-day walks in the Dolomites include:

Rifugio Antermoia in the Catinaccio,

Rifugio Comici in the Sesto group,

Rifugio Biella in the Croda Rosso Group and on AltaVia 1,

Rifugio Puez in the Puez Odle group and on AltaVia 2,

Rifugio Piz Boe in the Sella Group and on AltaVia 2

Most of these are quite spartan as you would expect given their isolated location, there are more luxurious hut options nearer roadheads. All have rather decent bars and dinner menus though :). We always carry sleeping bags as well as the strictly required bag liners but for most huts the bags themselves aren't really necessary.

Alta Via 1 & 2 splendid but gruelling 14-ish day treks that traverse the Dolomites. Of course, they can be done in chunks or even day walks to some of the huts en route.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking in northern Italy

Thanks everyone. Your information has been extremely helpful! Much appreciated.

Naples FL
Level Contributor
1 post
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking in northern Italy

Where do I go to find Hiking Trails for hikes of 2 to 5 hours in the Domolites, Lake Region, Piedmont Region and Aosta area??

6. Re: Hiking in northern Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 08:15