We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rail / Train / Bus travel in Italy - somebody help

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Rail / Train / Bus travel in Italy - somebody help

Hi all.

We will be visiting Italy on a holiday of 2 weeks next month and need some help with our transport planning.

I know there has been lots of threads on train travel in Italy but it still seems to be quite confusing. Hence I am submitting this query for some kind soul experts on Italy to help me navigate the maze of options.

We (2 adults) will be travelling (always together) by train the following sectors on separate days:

1. Venice to Florence

2. Florence to Sorrento (changing train @ Naples from Frecciarossa to Circumvesuviana)

3. Sorrento to Pompeii & Herculaneum and return

4. Sorrento to Naples and return

5. Sorrento to Rome via Naples(change train)

6. Rome city to Fiumicino airport

A total of 6 different days of travel spaced over 12 days.

I understand there are trenitalia passes for multiple days travel. There are discounted options on trenitalia for family (2 adults) always travelling together. There are trenitalia "mini" fares, which does not probably apply to frecciarossa trains and I cant seem to get even on IC trains from Florence to Naples

Apart from these offcourse we will be using the local transports in the form of train, metro, tram, bus in Florence, Naples and Rome.

There are also the passes for local travels including local site tickets in Naples (Artecard) and Rome (Romapass).

Please help somebody.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,057 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rail / Train / Bus travel in Italy - somebody help

There is no pass that will save you money on your Trenitalia journeys, which are (1), (2 to Naples), (5 from Naples) and (6).

Mini fares certainly apply to Frecciarossa trains. To see the Mini fares on the main Trenitalia web site, you have to select a train with the radio button at right, and then click "Continue". If you are interested only in the fast trains, there is a better interface at www.lefrecce.it but you must use the Italian version of place names.

The Roma pass may not be your best choice, depending on which museums you want to see. There are also 1-day, 3-day, and 7-day public transport passes in Rome. No pass covers the trains to FCO.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rail / Train / Bus travel in Italy - somebody help

Thanks nick. Thats very helpful.

Essentially the passes for multiple days are ruled out. It also looks like the offers for 2 adults travelling together is also not available any more.

We will buy the frecciarossa tickets on mini fares for the longer travels. Thanks a ton on guiding how to find the mini fare option. I have found them now. The lefrecce.it site was even more useful to realise that there are options of different prices on different trains of the day. You saved us quite a few $$

One further small question. When I try to buy the ticket for 2 people (ticketless), it seems that they record only one name. Is that correct? Am I making any mistake? I was expecting both names to be recorded on ticket.

As for Napoli/Sorrento area I think I will settle for the artecard, which seems to be a good value. I appreciate the advice on Romapass. Will do some more research.

Thanks again.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,057 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rail / Train / Bus travel in Italy - somebody help

On the ticketless option, I think only one name is recorded. Provided your e-mail confirmation shows 2 travellers, you will be fine.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rail / Train / Bus travel in Italy - somebody help

Hi Sydneynick

Can I hop on here and ask if I can buy a ticket on line from one country to another or do I need to get my travel agent to do that? Not due to go until Sept. Can wait the four months but I am under the impression it must be because of border crossings that it can't be done on line. For instance, Munich, Germany (D Bahn) to Innsbruck, Austria and then from there into northern Italy. I have found the regional trains OBB line to Ponte Gardena/ Waidbruck near the Dolomites, Italy will pick up my connections quicker and get me in to the area faster than Bolzano which has a fast train on the D Bahn to Verona and the OBB line only has fast trains too late in the arvo...so fast trains aren't always the option.

So I expect I'd pick up a regional ticket from Innsbruck to northern Italy at the station, do you think? As for the Germany to Austria one, would I need a travel agent to book it?

thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,057 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rail / Train / Bus travel in Italy - somebody help

Most Australian travel agents have no idea about train travel in Europe, apart from what they read in RailEurope's sales brochures. They will probably try to sell you a rail pass, as this gets them an easy commission payment.

Once you are in Europe, you can book just about any journey by going to a train station, but obviously at short notice you may not get any discounts.

You can usually make cross-border bookings on the web site of the train operator of the country you start from, but often only as far as the point where you change to the other country's trains.

So from Germany into Austria, you should be able to book with D Bahn to the point where you have to change to an Austrian train. From there on, you would book with OEBB.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rail / Train / Bus travel in Italy - somebody help

Thanks for that.

I was told that I could get an Austrian train to a town on the border of Italy and then an Italian train from there.The latter being even cheaper of course and the latter being a regionale.Also said that I may be able to get a through ticket in Innsbruck to get me down to where we alight. I have bought a ticket through a travel agent last tiem to get us from Switzerland down into Italy but of course I did book our flight with them also. Not this time however. and I have looked into the rail passes and we were about $300 worse off than we were taking mostly 1st class train and booking ourselves in Germany, Austria and Italy. I do find that Italy has the cheapest trains.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rail / Train / Bus travel in Italy - somebody help

Nick,

Thanks again.

Sorted out my tickets today. Only additional info for anybody looking at this thread in future:

1) the website uses cookies from quite a few different domain/website and hence if cookies are blocked (especially) on a browser like firefox, the experience will be very frustrating. It can hang/freeze/wait indefinitely at any point of time without giving any warning or error message.

2) the website(s) become more friendly if you register yourself instead of trying to purchase the ticket as guest/unregistered user, though the 2nd option is offered.

I could enter the traveller names/details after I registered myself on the site.

However, a big thanks to you to help me get past the initial big hurdles.

8. Re: Rail / Train / Bus travel in Italy - somebody help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2013, 09:26