We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Squash/Cordial in Italy

Glasgow
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Squash/Cordial in Italy

Hi there,

I drink a lot of squash (particularly addicted to Robinsons) and water just doesn't really hit the spot. Is this kind of thing easy to buy in Italy? I know France has syrope which is similar but tends to be sickly sweet. Need to know before I go else I'm going to have to take a couple of bottles with me as it's going to be hot hot hot. 8-)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,270 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Squash/Cordial in Italy

You will have to secrete those squash bottles in your check in hold luggage.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Squash/Cordial in Italy

You might not have to. Orangina is a premixed fruit soda that is not very sweet. San Pellegrino makes an Aranciata (orange) and a Limonata (lemon) soda. These are widely available. Fruit juices, including pomegranate, that are not too sweet are also widely available.

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Squash/Cordial in Italy

^ Oringina and the other drinks are soda drinks but not so frizzy as some. Robinsons squash is non soda just a cordinal. Not found any bottled drinks on my travels which is the same so always take some squash in a small bottle! In cafes you can of course always buy pure fruit juice drinks.

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Squash/Cordial in Italy

You could try asking for 'Latte di Mandorle' which is an almond drink, it should be diluted (preferably with flat, iced mineral water) . It used to be easier to find several years ago. unfortunately it is now quite expensive ; however, it is wonderfully thirst quenching as it is not as sweet as squashes and syrups. A cheaper alternative is 'orzata' which is a kind of barley water syrup with almond flavour.... but that is less thirst quenching because of the sugar it contains. Another good thirst quencher is 'Crodino' also known as 'bitter analcolico'.... a non-alcoholic type of aperitif. It used to be coloured red, but nowadays you can get the transparent one which is still herbal in flavour, but without the colouring. But, honestly, the best thirst quencher really is plain water ! If you don't want to be seen drinking plain water, then ask for it with ice and lemon - well, you'll have to order a mineral water (fizzy or flat) they'll not be best pleased if you go into a bar and just ask for a free glass of tap water ! Especially if you want to sit down and rest your feet after sight-seeing !

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Squash/Cordial in Italy

By the way.... the 'almond milk' you can buy in the UK supermarkets (made by Alpro) which is supposed to be a cow milk's substitute, is NOT anything like 'latte di mandorle' . The 'English' version is only 7 % almond milk, and tastes like a glutinous cow's milk substitute... which it is. Latte di Mandorle is high in almonds and tastes nothing like cow's milk ! It is nutty.

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Squash/Cordial in Italy

You could buy (in Italy) the supermarket packs of fresh fruit juice, and dilute them with ice-cold mineral water, fizzy or flat.... they are quite pleasant, only just flavoured with a little fruit juice. If you have a 3 star hotel, you should get a minibar fridge, in which you can store your own bought drinks.

7. Re: Squash/Cordial in Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2013, 10:26