We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome/Florence/Venice - any suggestions for itinerary?

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
216 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Rome/Florence/Venice - any suggestions for itinerary?

We will be visiting these three cities in September of this year. We have four nights each place and will travel by train from Rome to Florence and Florence to Venice.

We've been to Rome before and have been to the Vatican, St. Peter's Basilica, Collosseum, Pantheon, Spanish Steps......

We loved walking around and going to restaurants and the piazzas. Does anyone have any suggestions for how else to spend our time in Rome and also suggestions for what to see and do while in Florence and Venice. We're not really big on museums and churches, but love to walk around and enjoy the scenery and city and of course the food.

I do have a guidebook I'm reading right now by Rick Steves....just looking for some extra help in planning so we can make the most of our time.

Thank you in advance!

Likely To Sell Out
Vatican Museums Skip the Line Tour...
23,186 Reviews
from US$78.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Sistine Chapel VIP Private Viewing...
533 Reviews
from US$412.70*
Likely To Sell Out
Rome Colosseum Underground Chambers...
2,876 Reviews
from US$123.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,785 Reviews
from US$112.60*
Level Contributor
7,905 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome/Florence/Venice - any suggestions for itinerary?

If you are not interested in archeology, architecture and various fine arts as shown in Museums, Galleries and Churches, why come to Rome?

If you are not interested in Medicis or Renaissance art, why go to Florence. Go to Bologna and Parma for meat and grains, and coastal cities for seafood. Stay in hill towns for scenery.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
556 posts
383 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome/Florence/Venice - any suggestions for itinerary?

I think you have the right idea, just walking around the city enjoying the sights, the people and the food is wonderful, and Rick Steves gives some good ideas. We followed one of his walking tours on our last visit to Rome, which was our third time there. If you haven't been to the Trastevere neighborhood, I think you'll like it, and the Jewish quarter is nearby as well.

Even though you're not big on museums, you must go to the Accademia to see Michaelangelo's David when in Florence - it is magnificent. And the Uffizi is worth at least an hour or two.

In Venice, a boat ride to the island of Burano is scenic, On the other hand, I was disappointed in Murano, which is so overly touristed that the shopkeepers are surly and even the gelato was bad.

3. Re: Rome/Florence/Venice - any suggestions for itinerary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 01:42
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question