We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need phone help asap

Simcoe, Canada
Level Contributor
273 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Need phone help asap

My daughter was going to give me her cell phone that she bought in Italy last year to use but she has lost it and I have just lost my cell phone this past week.....have I read that you have to have an address in Italy to buy a cellphone that will work there or not all cellphones here will work there??????? I know that my phone will turn up somewhere in the house so I don't really want to buy one here but we leave on Easter Monday and I need to know the best way to have a cell phone in Italy. Are they cheap to buy or rent? I am hoping to do more travelling in Europe so I don't mind if I have a phone that will only work there. I know absolutely nothing about this so if anyone has any tips for me I would really appreciate it! Thanks everyone!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,133 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need phone help asap

I am guessing you have called your number to see if you can pinpoint in your house - and, maybe haven't heard it ring because the battery is dead (or it got lost elsewhere).

My cell phone works in Italy with T-Mobile; but, it is not cheap. I use it only when I have absolutely have to as it is about $1 per minute and communicate with home via email instead. I was just there for about 3 weeks and only ended up with $18 in charges. Wifi was free everywhere I stayed so that was easiest to use especially with time difference.

I know others who have gotten phones there to use so I am sure someone will jump in with info about those; hope you get it sorted.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need phone help asap

You can buy a cheap phone in Italy for under 30 euros. An Italian SIM card costs 10 euros, and 5 of that is initial credit. These phones will work all over Europe. What will be your first destination in Italy?

If you'll mostly be using the phone to call Italian numbers, but might want to make an occasional short call to Canada, you might want to get a SIM card from the provider TIM, which is called TIM International Card. This has decent rates within Italy, and also rates of 20 cents a minute to Canada, the US, and most Western European countries. There is a 16-cent connection charge.

If you will be making frequent or long calls to Canada, there are cheaper ways to do it.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,133 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need phone help asap

I've never used it, being a tad deficient technologically - but maybe Skype would be a good option; are you taking a laptop, iPad, or other device with you?

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need phone help asap

Those who travel often in Europe might want to get an inexpensive unlocked GSM triband or quad band Android phone. There are some available for under $US 100 by now. This would also give you access to cheap data plans, GPS, email, and a lot of other things. My daughter did this last year.

5. Re: Need phone help asap

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2013, 10:18