We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italy Car Rental - Avis or Hertz?

Maine, USA
Level Contributor
46 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Italy Car Rental - Avis or Hertz?

We're flying into Rome, will be renting a car at the airport (FCO), and then driving to a house in Umbria, from which we'll be doing day trips within Umbria and Tuscany. Any recommendations on Avis vs Hertz are eagerly welcomed! Thanks!

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
22,977 reviews
from US$76.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
530 reviews
from US$411.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Tour...
2,820 reviews
from US$123.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,702 reviews
from US$112.10*
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,464 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Italy Car Rental - Avis or Hertz?

Have a look at www.autoeurope.com first and compare prices. Sometimes the Hertz "Pay in advance" is cheaper. Autoeurope is a broker and generally has great deals. The car will inevitably be through Avis, Hertz or some other larger rental agency. All that being said, Avis or Hertz are both fine and equal in comparison. Just be sure not to go with a smaller outfit that might have it's rental outfit off of the airport area. All of the "majors" have their cars right at the covered parking garage attached to the terminal, so easy walking with luggage. (There are also people movers to the garage)

Maine, USA
Level Contributor
46 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Italy Car Rental - Avis or Hertz?

Have had only good experiences in Europe previously with the "majors" (Avis and Hertz) so would prefer to stay with one of them. Just looking to see if there is any reason to prefer one over the other in Italy. Thanks! (P.S. Have read a few stories that AutoEurope turns out, in the end, not to be any less expensive and has more sketchy customer service as well.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,464 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Italy Car Rental - Avis or Hertz?

As I said, if you book through Autoeurope, it will ultimately go to one of the majors. Don't confuse Autoeurope with Autoeuropa or Europecar. Autoeurope is based out of Portland, Maine (your home turf) and their customer service has always been quite good. But I always do a price comparison to look for deals - especially if I have an Avis or Hertz promo code.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
105,251 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Italy Car Rental - Avis or Hertz?

Yes, don’t confuse AutoEurope with AutoEuropa - Sicily by Car.

http://www.autoeurope.com/

http://www.autoeuropa.it/newae/index_new.aspx

AutoEurope is the broker dealing with many suppliers, and Europcar is one of the possible supplies used by AutoEurope.

Don’t assume it will go to one of the major international suppliers – When booking your vehicle, ask about the supplier and avoid Maggiore, Autoeuropa (not AutoEurope), Sicily by Car, Locauto.....

If you were to have a problem with the car during your time in Italy, you would deal with the supplier, but if you were to have a problem with rates or charges, you would deal with the broker.

Vagabonda

Maine, USA
Level Contributor
46 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Italy Car Rental - Avis or Hertz?

I have read that AutoEurope has good customer service for many things, but NOT for many cases like this: "if you were to have a problem with rates or charges, you would deal with the broker."

Also, after just checking, it seems that Hertz is less expensive than AutoEurope.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
10,101 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Italy Car Rental - Avis or Hertz?

I have used Auto Europe for years in different countries including last October in Italy. I have usually found Hertz and Avis to be more expensive.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
105,251 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Italy Car Rental - Avis or Hertz?

AutoEurope's customer service is outstanding, and they intercedes on your behalf with the supplier, and they would match your lowest rate from other brokers or suppliers.

Vagabonda

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
56,276 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Italy Car Rental - Avis or Hertz?

Autoeurope is excellent indeed. I have used them in Italy, UK and Spain with no issues whatsoever. Once you have picked up your car, you do deal directly with the agency. However, prior to picking it up, you can make changes and cancellations with Autoeurope.

Of course, check the companies' own rates as well. I got a better deal in Switzerland through Hertz before.

Maine, USA
Level Contributor
46 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Italy Car Rental - Avis or Hertz?

If one requests that AutoEurope use only Avis or Hertz for them, will AutoEurope honor that request?

I always wonder about that "match your lowest rate" promise. If one has a lower rate, why would they ask someone else to match it?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
105,251 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Italy Car Rental - Avis or Hertz?

AutoEurope does honour that request (you can check pick-up and drop-off addresses), and if there is a lower rate they will match it – It’s always best to call and speak directly with a representative.

tripadvisor.com/…23589709

Vagabonda