We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels with restrictions to bring bottled water from outside

Austria
Level Contributor
14 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels with restrictions to bring bottled water from outside

Does anyone know if it's actually legal to charge the guests for bottled water they have brought to their rooms from outside? Some hotels in Italy do it and I personally find it unbelievable that someone is trying to control what the guests drink in the privacy of their rooms. Does anyone have any experience with this humiliating practice?

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Likely To Sell Out
Vatican Museums Skip the Line Tour...
23,440 Reviews
from US$82.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Sistine Chapel VIP Private Viewing...
538 Reviews
from US$412.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany 1-Day Sightseeing Tour with...
6,899 Reviews
from US$112.50*
Special Offer
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Skip the...
11,819 Reviews
from US$60.80*
US$67.50
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
27,122 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels with restrictions to bring bottled water from outside

name a hotel that does this

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
10,684 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels with restrictions to bring bottled water from outside

Have never heard of such a thing!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,678 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels with restrictions to bring bottled water from outside

Never heard of it. I always bring bottles of water to my rooms in Italy.

Where did you come across this practice? How can they charge you for something you paid for? I have seen reports in some reviews of various hotels that guests reported being told they couldn't bring anything to drink/eat in their room but I've never heard of anyone being charged for something bought outside.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
48,456 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels with restrictions to bring bottled water from outside

I have never heard of this either,

UK
Level Contributor
3,206 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels with restrictions to bring bottled water from outside

I have, in the past, heard of hotels that charged for using the in-room refrigerator to store your own drinks etc. Don't know how widespread it is these days.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,686 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels with restrictions to bring bottled water from outside

In some upmarket hotels the fridges are connected via a computer to the desk and billing. When you move something in the mini bar it treats it as if you have used the item and will charge you for it. However when this happened to us we simply contacted the desk and complained and the item was removed from our bill.

BUT, that was a top Hilton. I have never seen that in Italy and have often bought drinks to the room from outside and left the cans or bottles behind. Never been charged.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,678 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels with restrictions to bring bottled water from outside

I've never stayed in a place that denies you taking in bottle/food; I have though read some comments in some reviews of various hotels that they tell their guests that they cannot bring in food/drink from the outside. Sometimes, the explanation (hooey is what it is) is because the remains of food could attract ants, etc.

Mostly from what I recall such reports have been about hotels that have their own restaurant and bar, so....

I'd never stay somewhere with such a nonsensical policy; but since the OP hasn't returned to explain, who knows where or what he/she is talking about?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,686 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels with restrictions to bring bottled water from outside

If you extrapolate this, what the hotels are saying is "We provide food and drink in our hotel. Please do not bring food and drink in from outside"

Now, in a restaurant, we would absolutely agree with this. You cannot go to a restaurant and take your own food and drink.

It is a matter of what we think when this is extended to people who stay in the hotel which provides full service.

I can see their point. I also respectfully disagree with it.

Austria
Level Contributor
14 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels with restrictions to bring bottled water from outside

I didn't experience this practice myself, I just read about it here on TripAdvisor and I was surprised that something like this is possible. Because it IS possible - I believe nobody would "invent" such a story if it hadn't happen to him. I wanted to hear more about it, maybe from someone who has some experience with it.

Sorry if I seem not to have responded quickly enough!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotels with restrictions to bring bottled water from outside

I've never heard of such a policy. Sometimes people report things that are not invented, but are the result of a misunderstanding. Minibars are often a source of misunderstanding, but I've always been able to resolve any problems. Minibars are somewhat rare in Italy, anyway.

I recently was in a hotel in Paris, where they requested that guests not eat meals in the room. They had no restaurant on the premises, and I assumed it was a cleanliness issue. We kept fruit in the room and some other snacks, which I wouldn't define as meals, so I felt justified. I'm sure some people are absolute slobs with the food they bring into hotels.

Edited: 30 April 2012, 22:40
Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France