We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Reggio di Calabria - Help!

San Diego
Level Contributor
21 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Reggio di Calabria - Help!

Heading south to Reggio for three days to visit the region where my great-grandparents emigrated from. Any suggestions on what to do while I'm there? The guidebooks usually omit Reggio completely. I've read about the Riace Bronzes and Aragonese Castle. Anything else that I must see/experience while I'm there? Thinking about taking a ferry for a day trip to Sicily (Messina?).

Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :-)

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,130 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Reggio di Calabria - Help!

Welcome MattQuattrone!

Reggio di Calabria’s Museo Nazionale della Magna Grecia is closed for restorations with no foreseeable date for reopening - The Bronzi di Riace are currently housed at the Palazzo Campanella in Reggio di Calabria.

http://www.bronzidiriace.org/

http://www.bronzidiriace.org/bdreng/

The ferry to Messina across the Straights of Messina is impressive – Meridiano Lines runs the line from Reggio di Calabria to Messina.

http://www.meridianolines.it/

Caronte runs the line from Villa San Giovanni to Messina.

http://www.carontetourist.it/v2.6_us/

In Messina, you might enjoy exploring the Orologio Astronomico (arrive prior to noon), Il Duomo di Messina (cathedral), the Museo Regionale (houses Caravaggio), and the City Sightseeing Messina bus.

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g187889-Activiti…

Cruise Port to Train Station:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187889-i2142-k433…

So...what's wrong with Messina?:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187889-i2142-k504…

But you might find Taormina a better day, although further afield, and a longer day.

Take the train straight through from Reggio di Calabria and watch the train board the ferry. You could also ferry to Messina on foot, and then take the train or Interbus from Messina to Taormina. The bus arrives in town, but the train arrives below town near Giardini, so you would take a bus or taxi up to Taormina.

http://www.fsitaliane.it/homepage_en.html

http://www.interbus.it/Home.aspx

Taormina-Help me plan my day!:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187892-i344-k5329…

But really with only three days in Calabria, and Calabria being your ancestral home, why not spend the time exploring Calabria?

Hopefully you would hire a car, and then you could explore your ancestral town, Scilla, Chianalea, Nicotera Vibo Valentia, Tropea, Pizzo.....

And even enjoy some of Calabria's gorgeous beaches.

These earlier threads discuss Calabria and offer suggestions for things to see and do.

for Vagabonda:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187774-i1254-k460…

2 weeks with a hint of Calabria - help :):

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k4402…

You might find Thomas Cooke’s guidebook “Calabria” a helpful resource.

bookdepository.com/Calabria-Lara-Dunston/978…

amazon.com/Traveller-Guides-Calabria-2nd-Tra…

barnesandnoble.com/w/…1100825873

Best wishes for a wonderful holiday tracing your ancestral roots!

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,130 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Reggio di Calabria - Help!

These tourism sites would supplement the guidebook!

Reggio di Calabria:

reggiocal.it/on-line/…Turismo.html

www.prolocoreggio-calabria.it/default_ok.asp…

prolocoreggiocalabria.it/proloco/intro.htm

Vagabonda

San Diego
Level Contributor
21 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Reggio di Calabria - Help!

Thank you Vagabonda for your help! I do plan on visiting the small town my family lived in (Cardeto) before emigrating to the United States (Scilla and Tropea look like especially beautiful places to visit as well). With your input, I'm now considering taking the ferry to Messina in the morning to explore the city, and would of course stay to see the Orologio Astronomico. Then head back to Reggio in the afternoon, so I would have a full day and a half to explore that city. I am looking forward to spending some time relaxing in Reggio since this will come near the end of a 3-week whirlwind tour of Italy.

Let me know if you think of anything else!

Mille grazie,

Matt

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,130 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Reggio di Calabria - Help!

Prego MattQuattrone,

If you’d like to experience the crossing, then spend a morning in Messina – Messina isn’t an especially beautiful city, but there are attractions to see.

So...what's wrong with Messina?:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187889-i2142-k504…

Reggio di Calabria is also a city, not typically a place to relax, especially with coastal towns like Scilla nearby.

Regards,

Vagabonda

5. Re: Visiting Reggio di Calabria - Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2013, 19:11
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,130 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Reggio di Calabria - Help!

Thanks for your report Pasquale P – Reggio di Calabria is an ancient and underrated city!

Vagabonda

Reggio Calabria...
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Reggio di Calabria - Help!

You're welcome,Destination,thanks!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,130 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Reggio di Calabria - Help!

Grazie Pasquale P - Hope you also enjoy(ed) Sicily!! If you appreciated Reggio di Calabria as you did, you "should" enjoy Sicily!

Vagabonda

Level Contributor
905 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Reggio di Calabria - Help!

I just "drove" Cardeto on Street View. Spectacular setting, clinging to the side of a steep valley. If you have an address maybe you can find your family's former home.

Reggio Calabria...
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Reggio di Calabria - Help!

Vagabonda,I was born and raised in Reggio Calabria and I know Sicily well enough to tell you that to me,it's one of Italy's most beautiful regions(if not the most beautiful!) :-)......and since I'm temporarily away I'm missing them so much!!!