We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7-10 days vacation in Italy: itinerary suggestion

5 posts
Save Topic
7-10 days vacation in Italy: itinerary suggestion

Hello. We are planning on a 7-10 day trip in Italy in August. We would like to visit Rome, Venice and possibly do a day trip to Tuscany or Florence. I feel that it will be too much with only a few days in Italy. Our tentative plan is spend 5 days in Rome (with day trips to Florence /Tuscany) and spend the rest in Venice. Is that feasible or too much? We plan on flying into Rome and out of Venice. I also understand that it will be hot in August. All suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7-10 days vacation in Italy: itinerary suggestion

Hi EmmaY,

It sounds do-able to me at the 10-day end of your plans.

For the daytrip to Florence, take a Eurostar train (typically about 2 trains an hour from Rome) and you will be there in about 90 minutes. Seat reservations come with your ticket on this type of train. Since it is such a short trip you could buy 2nd class tickets from the automated machines in the Rome train station.

Other Rome daytrips are here:

tripadvisor.com/Guide-g187791-l296-Rome_Lazi…

Since all you mention are cities, you might consider a daytrip to a smaller town.

Finally, Rome (Termini) to Venice (S Lucia) is just under 4hrs:

http://www.trenitalia.com/

(English tab at top).

-Karl

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,069 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 7-10 days vacation in Italy: itinerary suggestion

Sounds very doable and you will only need to book two hotels, which is nice as you won't be wasting precious time moving hotels. Four days in Rome is a good introduction to the city as you will be able to many of the well known sites, though not all of course.

I think, since you are going to fly home from Venice, I would leave Rome early on the fifth day and take the train to Florence (fast train only takes 1.5 hours), check my bags, explore Florence then catch a train to Venice that evening/night.

Yes, it will be hot/humid. when looking for hotels, I suggest reading reviews for comments about the efficiency of the hotel's air conditioning. Some are decidedly not so great.

5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 7-10 days vacation in Italy: itinerary suggestion

Thank you Karlitos. I have looked into private tours to Florence and Tuscany and they are fairly expensive (700€ for a party of 4). Do you think doing it by ourselves will be just as fun? I'll definitely look into day trips you provided. Thanks again.

5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 7-10 days vacation in Italy: itinerary suggestion

MomCat,

That's what I thought we should do, just 2 hotels for the entire trip. I found it to be cheaper to fly from LAX-FCO-VCE. Thanks for the hotel tip. I have been researching hotels in Rome for a few days and I *think* finally have my top 3 choices. Although now I have to make sure about AC. The flight that I'm looking into a flight that arrives in Rome at 9am on a Saturday. I have pretty much a full day Saturday, Sunday to roam around Rome, Monday - daytrip to Tuscany, Tuesday - day trip to Florence, Wednesday - fly to Venice (Thursday - end of trip). Should I save another day for Rome? How many minimum days do you think we should spend in Rome and Venice to see the major sights. I feel it's too much but at the same time, I want to see as many sights as I can. Thanks again.

Sandton, South...
Level Contributor
121 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7-10 days vacation in Italy: itinerary suggestion

Florence is only 1.5 hrs away from Rome. It is an easy city to do on your own. Many sites are within walking distance of each other and the train station is well located for easy access. I would pre arrange a tour of the Duomo or one of the many others that you may be interested in and just meet up with the group in Florence. This would probably be less expensive than a tour from Rome. Alternatively, you can pick up a good map at the station and take youselves round. There are a number of good books on Florence.

As one of the previous posts said, Florence is usually hot in August. Mid 30C is not uncommon.

The trenitalia site is quite user friendly and I have purchased train tickets in Rome, Florence and Venice using a credit card and never had a problem. Just remember to validate your ticket in the machine before boarding the train to avoid penalties.

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,290 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7-10 days vacation in Italy: itinerary suggestion

Emma, keep in mind that coming from LAX (I live in PDX), most of your arrival day, Saturday will be lost not only to getting your bags, getting to your hotel, checking in, freshening up, then eating lunch ... and then JET LAG. So IMO, you really only have a couple of hours on Saturday to see Rome. So with your current schedule, that really only leaves Sunday to see what you want in Rome. Not enough time. So I would use Monday see Rome also (skipping Tuscany this trip).

Additionally, I agree with MomCat about seeing Florence enroute to Venice.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7-10 days vacation in Italy: itinerary suggestion

@#3

We have been to Italy five times in the past five years and have never booked a tour and have always had an AMAZING time! Go! Explore! Stumble upon surprises!

-K

8. Re: 7-10 days vacation in Italy: itinerary suggestion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 23:40