We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to politely refuse wine?

Leesburg, Florida
Level Contributor
45 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
How to politely refuse wine?

I may be worrying about something unnecessarily, but I do not care for wine and am wondering how I can politely tell waiters this. I'm thinking they will be so proud of their fine wines that they do not understand why I am not ordering it. The others in my group all like wine and I am planning on taking a sip of my daughters' just to try it. This way I will be able to "sample" some wonderful wines of the regions and possibly find some that I can actually enjoy.

I thought about using a translation tool, but know some don't translate accurately and do not want to be rude. I'd like to be able to say something about not caring for wine instead of "I don't like wine'. I plan on ordering tap water where available.

Midlands England
Level Contributor
367 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to politely refuse wine?

" Thank you, but I don't drink."

Edited: 30 April 2012, 17:53
Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How to politely refuse wine?

Yes, I think you are worrying unnecessarily. If the rest of the party is ordering a bottle, they can say X glasses (in italian if possible) even though there are Y people there. I doubt anyone will disappointed you don't try their "fine wines." It is not like the waiter will have made the wine himself.

Edited: 30 April 2012, 17:53
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,763 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How to politely refuse wine?

No one will care at all. If asked if you would like wine, just say what you would say anywhere, "no, thank you" - in Italian: "no, grazie"

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How to politely refuse wine?

You are under no obligation whatsoever to explain to a server that you do not care for wine. It's normally sufficient to place your hand over your glass when the wine is being poured (and in many places, servers let diners pour their own; they're not trying to hike up the bill by over-solicitous wine-pouring, as is so often the case in countries where wine is not naturally a part of the culture). If anyone insists, just say (in English) that you don't like wine. They don't deserve consideration, and they'll understand that much English.

But please order mineral water, flat or fizzy, as you like. Asking for tap water is as close to being a no-no as it gets in restaurants in Italy, and they are not obliged to serve it to you.

Edited: 30 April 2012, 18:04
Leesburg, Florida
Level Contributor
45 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to politely refuse wine?

Thanks, everyone! I just drink tap water at home and at restaurants here in the States, so thanks for the suggestion about mineral water.

6. Re: How to politely refuse wine?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 11:41