We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with trip planning

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
Help with trip planning

Our family (5) will be planning a trip next summer to Italy. I've read, read, and over read ideas for the trip. Here's my thought: please give any feedback,

Venice (1) day - would definitely expand to (2) maximum.. Is (1) day enough to hit major highlights? Arrive in Siena that evening.

Siena (2) nights - maybe (3)? I love the dea of exploring the countryside. But, have teenagers, 3 days too much?

Florence (2days)

Rome (3 days)

Your thoughts?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
541 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with trip planning

Hard to say with so little information - what does each family member like to do? What drew you to these locations in the first place? How do you like to travel? Some will say you need a full week just for one of these places, others will cram 5 cities into 8 days. Personally, I would want at least 2 and up to 4 nights in each location. Definitely give Rome at least 3 full days, not counting travel days.

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,556 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with trip planning

I did a little back-of-the-envelope estimation, and I think you will spend at least 24 hours of your time on the ground in Italy, moving about, checking in and out. Too much! And with 5 people to accommodate, it might well be more than that. Your plan might be workable if you really work at it, but is that what you are going for? This reads like a project, not a vacation.

We all have the same experience in planning any trip top Italy, the greatest challenge is deciding what to forgo. My suggestion would certainly be for a slower, and more relaxed visit. Each of the places that you mentioned is great, and well worth some time, but we would not visit more than two places in 8 days on the ground.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,299 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with trip planning

Slow down a little and taste the wine. No, 1 day in Venice is NOT enough. You're trying to squeeze 4-5 major destinations into 7 days. Won't work. You'll be tired and disappointed when it's over. I'd take some places out or expand your vacation to 12-14 days.

4. Re: Help with trip planning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 17:16