We are a family of three (wife and a 13 yr old son), planning a 25-day trip to Italy/S Fra/Barcelona in late july. We have been to other part of eu a couple of times but both on guided tour. So first time planning a long trip by our own, it feels kinda overwhelming. We will arive at Rome,
- Rome, 4 days
- Naples/Pompeii/Sorrento 3/4 days
- Nice/Monaco 3/4 days
- Marseille/Arles/Avignon 3/4 days
- Barcelona 3 days
I know it may sounds over ambitious. We could slim it down but in general we are active vacationers and don't like to park at one place for a week. Lots of questions,
1. whats the best way to choose hubs so we don't need to haul lugages around every day? An obvious way is to stay at the major cities for 3/4 each and do day trips to their surrounding small towns.
What are good hubs at around Nice and Marsille?
2. Local guided tours? For example daily tour in Rome/Florence/Venice; bus tour to Tuscany hilltowns from Florence.....?
3. Hotels//bnb? We have always stayed at hotels in the past. But euro hotel rooms are tight for 3 people. I see Airbnb seemingly have a great of inventories with attractive prices. Anyone have exprience with them or any other apt sharing/bnb services?
Suggestions from experienced travelers are greatly appreciated.