We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking family to Europe for 1st time.

Los Angeles...
4 posts
Save Topic
Taking family to Europe for 1st time.

We are taking our family on a summer vaca from July 31 to Aug 14

we are planning on

Rome 3 nights

Venice 3 nights

Munich 3 nights

Amsterdam 3 nights

that leaves us with us with a 2 nights to stay one other place or 2 different cities en route to either rome to venice (florence) or en route to amsterdam (bruges - belgium)

any advice would be great.

Florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking family to Europe for 1st time.

I haven't been to Brugges but hear it's much like Amsterdam, just smaller. Just visited Florence and it's full of history and can highly recommend a stop there. Great leather goods, Michelangelo's statue of David in the Accademia, the Duomo, the Uffizi gallery and much more. Go up to the Piazzale Michelangelo for great views of the city.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,717 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking family to Europe for 1st time.

Bruges is very different from Amsterdam. The only thing they really have in common is the canals, so you could also say it's just like Venice.

I think you really have more than enough stopovers for such a short trip. I would add those two days to one or two of the cities you've already chosen, depending on your interests. Rome is the biggest of the cities on your list, and has a ton of things to see, so I'd vote for at least one more night there. However, everyone's interests are different.

Los Angeles...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking family to Europe for 1st time.

Thanks to you both - we are trying to please everyone in our mixed group - we have foodies - lovers of art and glass blowing - as well as craft home brewers.

So.... that is why Belgium is in the mix for the brewer and Florence for the art and Venice for the glass.

We have been to Amsterdam many times and may just cut it out all together or at least take a day away and add it somewhere else.

Level Contributor
905 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking family to Europe for 1st time.

I recall that TA has plenty of postings about brewery tours in Munich, for the brewmeister among you. In Rome you might consider this

…forbes.com/booze/…

Los Angeles...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking family to Europe for 1st time.

Thanks for the info on Rome - Shared with brewmeister and it is def on the list now.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,441 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking family to Europe for 1st time.

two nights gives you one day -- so these 3 night stops give you two days in each place -- and you burn up a day on logistics with each move -- I would add a night to two of these stops -- and would probably make those two Rome and Venice

actually I would lose Munich and add Florence and do 4 days in both Rome and Florence

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
10,005 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking family to Europe for 1st time.

And for people who know nothing about Munich people visiting Munich spend more time visiting places outside of the city itself whereas at some destinations listed above people only visit the cities themselves.

Therefore doing the "standard" things in and around Munich actually takes more days than the "standard" for visiting Rome.

Is it your holiday or somebody elses. Number of days you need is based on YOUR interests and your interests alone. Not what a guidebook says, not what Auntie Elsie & Uncle Bert did and not what anybody here suggests.

Only you can decide what interests you.

Los Angeles...
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Taking family to Europe for 1st time.

thanks giftzwerg.... we are going to munich because we love it - it is one of mine and my husband's favorite cities. we have travelled to europe and asia several times and we return to munich as often as we can.

this is a the first time we are taking our children so we wanted to go somewhere different and try to show them some places we have been and some we haven't so that together we can discover things as a family. because of our love of munich the kids really wanted to go there - so we are very happy to oblige.

i know our times is brief and I wish we had more to spend but with this being our first trip to europe as a family we wanted to give everyone a shot at something that they love - hopefully it is the first of many trips and if we miss something we will be able to return - or at least have someplace we can dream about returning to one day.

thank to everyone for your replies - gives me something to consider and ideas about what will work best for us....

9. Re: Taking family to Europe for 1st time.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 17:17