We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time Traveller To Italy

London, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
First Time Traveller To Italy

Dear TA

I turn to you guys, the experts, again. I am planning a 10day trip for me and my husband, in Sept 12. However we dont know where to start....we are use to travelling independently, but not in Europe. This is what we are thinking

Rome....how long would we need to see all main sites?

Almafi coast versus Sorrento

Capri

Venice...

Leaning Tower of Pissa

We dont want to drive so any advice on planes, trains & buses will be appreciated..

Please can I thank you all in advance for any suggestions, you done us proud in the past...Thank you sooooooo much

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
9,598 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time Traveller To Italy

Determine your particular interests, browse some guidebooks and library. For example, my 1st trip to Rome, I spent 2 weeks and returned the following year for another 2 weeks. My 1st trip to Venice was for 6 days.

For train info: www.lefrecce.it and use the Italian city names, i.e. Rome/Roma, Venice/Venezia, Pisa is Pisa.

The Tower of Pisa is about 1 hr from Florence, Florence is 2 hrs. from Venice, maybe save that for another trip.

The fast train between Rome and Venice is close to 4 hrs. Maybe you could 'open jaw' your flights, fly into Rome and out of Venice (or other way around).

IMO, Amalfi Coast, Sorrento and Capri would be another trip, 10 days isn't long enough for all.

London, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time Traveller To Italy

Thank you Ocpony

I have booked two weeks and two days off work, maybe take your advice and stretch the Ten days to Two weeks...seems like I need it..getting excited

Thanks Again

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time Traveller To Italy

I keep forgetting that you Brits don't refer to England as part of Europe...throws me every time! 'ocpony' is right...fly into Naples or Venice, proceed by fast train to Rome, then on to Naples or Venice...and home. Forget Pisa...save it for your next trip and do a day trip from Florence. Days or Nights spent in each location is totally up to you and your interests. Whether you pick say Positano (AC) or Sorrento is also up to you and your tastes. (You can do a day trip to Capri from either place) I don't blame you for wanting to see as much as possible on your first trip...but if I were you, I would shorten my list to either Rome and Venice, or Rome and the Amalfi Coast. So much to see....good luck, and get a good travel guide.

London, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time Traveller To Italy

Hi MoltoBeneItal

Thank you for the great advice.....much appreciated

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,169 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time Traveller To Italy

Fly into Venice and give it at least 3 nights. Take the fast train to Florence and stay 2 nights. If you really want you can take a train excursion to Pisa but be prepared to book tower ticket a long way in advance if you want to climb it. Just looking is free. Fast train Florence to Naples and then the local Circumvesuviana to Sorrento from where you can visit Capri by boat and further along the Amalfi coast by bus or boat. 3-4 nights. Then train to Rome, 4-5 nights Rome.

If you leave out Florence this trip, (and I would) add a day to Rome and a day to Venice.

Trains as ocpony says. Fast and sometimes very cheap if booked well in advance and you get the super economy tickets.

Do some homework first so you know what you want to see, especially in Venice and Rome, and pre-book for the few essentials.

London, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time Traveller To Italy

Thank you, to all for taking the time to help me....GREAT ADVICE

7. Re: First Time Traveller To Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2013, 10:17