We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to expect on a trans-Atlantic flight?

Muscatine, Iowa
Level Contributor
46 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
What to expect on a trans-Atlantic flight?

We are flying from CHI to LHR and then on to Venice, Italy later this week. We have never flown overseas before. What, if any, are the differences with a trans-Atlantic flight compared to a domestic US flight?

I have already heard that movies and shoes are free. What about beverage or food service? (We depart around 5 pm CHI time and will be flying overnight for the most part.) Any suggestions? Thanks!

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
23,092 reviews
from US$76.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
531 reviews
from US$412.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Tour...
2,855 reviews
from US$123.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,738 reviews
from US$112.60*
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,253 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to expect on a trans-Atlantic flight?

I ways bring my neck pillow so I can sleep better in my seat.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,253 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to expect on a trans-Atlantic flight?

Therre is beverage and food service for free. it varies what you get. Air France has the best food and free champayne

Muscatine, Iowa
Level Contributor
46 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to expect on a trans-Atlantic flight?

We are on British Airways- just FYI.

Also, is there any possibility (far-fetched I know) of getting bumped up from Economy on a Saturday night flight?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,897 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What to expect on a trans-Atlantic flight?

Free shoes? What are you referring to?

I always fly JetBlue domestically as it flies where I travel in the U.S. and the seats are significantly smaller in coach on a number of the international flights; I usually fly Delta or Alitalia to Italy as I don't like having to change planes and have a layover. Jetblue's seats are huge by comparison.

You should get pillow and blanket - and not have to pay like on a lot of domestic airlines; probably dinner and something in the morning.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
8,330 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to expect on a trans-Atlantic flight?

There is a huge difference between Business and Coach.

In coach, the seats are smaller, less leg room, simple, but adequate meals. Breakfast is continental. Roll, maybe some fruit and coffee/tea. I think the alcohol depends on the airline.

I suggest check the airline website and see what each class offers. This way,, you will be prepared.

The flights are longer--- the distance is longer! In business, there are socks provided.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,524 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to expect on a trans-Atlantic flight?

Yes, its a long flight. My wife and I like to get seats across from each other on the aisle. That way we can get up and stretch, go to the bathroom, whenever we please. We can also extend our legs into the aisle sometimes to stretch.

The temperature can vary on the planes from fairly warm to cool. The blanket is sometimes a very good friend.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,253 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to expect on a trans-Atlantic flight?

I travel in coach and have never seen any shoes or socks passed out.

Edited: 27 June 2012, 03:53
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
221 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What to expect on a trans-Atlantic flight?

This is what I have experienced in coach travel for no extra cost.

A dinner meal, including wine, and a breakfast meal of usually a roll/croissant, some kind of cheese, coffee or tea. The flight attendants pass by with beverages as well - soft drinks, juices, water.

Headphones/ear buds and choice of movies/music (most airlines have screens built into the back of the seat in front of you)

Blanket and a pillow. I prefer to bring my own neck pillow too

Over the years I have flown British Airways, Iberia, Alitalia, Swiss Air, Air Canada, Air France and the above service has been pretty consistent.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,664 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to expect on a trans-Atlantic flight?

Flying BA you receive Meals, beverages, inflight entertainment and a smile from the Brit FA.

Upgrades are only for Loyalty customers and FF

Boston...
Level Contributor
734 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: What to expect on a trans-Atlantic flight?

Forget the amenities - do everything you can to sleep. In the days before the flight rise, have dinner, and sleep early. On the flight, No alcohol, no meal, take ambien as soon as you reach altitude.