We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Plan - lost!

Singapore
Level Contributor
706 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Plan - lost!

I've decided that I'd fly into Rome and depart from Zurich for my year end trip.

I should arrive Rome on 25th or 26th Nov and depart Zurich on 8th Dec2012. When in Italy, I'm thinking of touring Rome-Florence-Venice-Milan.

Question: How many days should I stay in each "base camp" Should it be like 2 nights in Rome, 2 in Florence 2 in Venice and 2 in Milan? (I'm a bit lost)

How do I travel from one to another city? I do have a family of 2 adults and 2 children (7 and 11 YO)

Are there any sort of theme parks that will be open during that time of the year? I'm also interested in Premium Outlets and Christmas markets. We love nature but not so much of museums.

Any advice would be great!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,777 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Plan - lost!

The only theme parks that I know of in Italy are in the Lake Garda area near Venice. I have not been to them and do not know if they will be open. If you prefer nature to museums then I think that your itinerary is too focussed on cities.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,224 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Plan - lost!

Gardaland is open on a few weekends in winter. There is a website.

I think you are planning a bit too much for the time available, which is basically 12 days not counting arrival and departure days.

For a first time visit I would drop Milan and concentrate on Rome and Venice with maybe two nights in Florence for the architecture and maybe some art, it being the cradle of the Renaissance..

Travel within Italy is best by trains, which are fast and inexpensive, especially the super economy fares purchased in advance.

www.lefrecce.it

Most of the Christmas markets are in December

…about.com/od/…rome-christmas.htm

I like the idea of the ice skating rink in Rome.

Zurich is expensive and not the snowy alps picture you may have in mind. It is a city on a river and lake. For scenes of snow covered mountains consider somewhere like Interlaken

Singapore
Level Contributor
706 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Plan - lost!

Thanks all!

Ice skating in Rome sounds like a great idea!! My kids' love!

Shld I purchase train tickets in advance?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,224 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Plan - lost!

Make your plans carefully then book the train tickets in advance. The difference in price can be large, from €9 to maybe €59, but the cheap tickets are generally not refundable or changeable.

Singapore
Level Contributor
706 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Plan - lost!

Thanks lynn

Singapore
Level Contributor
706 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Plan - lost!

Gardaland is not open during the time where I'll be there ;(

Any other fun suggestions will be great!

Singapore
Level Contributor
706 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Plan - lost!

Oh, if I buy stuff from Italy before taking a train up to zermatt/Zurich, can I still claim tax? How do I do it?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,224 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Plan - lost!

You claim when leaving the last EU country, usually at the airport, by going to the detaxe? desk before passing through security to airside. You should have the article/s with you and unused plus all the paperwork.

Singapore
Level Contributor
706 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Plan - lost!

thanks Lynn!

Will there be any desk at train stations in Venice? I believe my last stop should be Venice. Unless I take flight from VEnice to Zurich?!

any further advice would be great!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,224 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Plan - lost!

I haven't claimed there so can't answer. Sorry.

Someone else will know.