We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self plan 1st trip to italy or tour company?

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Self plan 1st trip to italy or tour company?

My husband and I are taking our first trip to italy in 2013 june or july. I am starting to plan now and was wondering if planning the trip ourselves or go with a tour company? I plan on going 10days- I am told to pick 3 cities that are a must see for us and plan around that. We really would love coastal. maybe almafi and rome? Any suggestions on where to stay around rome and alamfi. Any popular sites on ther journey between rome(fly-in) and naples(fly-out)? Should I stick with north vs south italy? Sorry this is so broad, but I need all the help and suggestions i can get. Thanks in advance!

Trenino Pippo
Sightseeing Tours
Genova Turgid
Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Dafne
Sightseeing Tours
Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self plan 1st trip to italy or tour company?

As it is, it seems you have plenty of time to plan this trip. Do you like to plan and research the logistics of these sorts of things? If so, a couple of guidebooks and TripAdvisor is really all you need. If you don't like to plan and research trips, then go with a tour.

Of course, the other important question is: Are you and your husband content exploring and seething the sites on your own? Or do you prefer the company of a group of people you'll see day after day? People have widely varying answers to that question.

I can tell you that combining Rome and the Amalfi Coast is very easy to do on your own. I've done it, as have many others here.

Good luck.

Edited: 13 July 2012, 20:20
Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Amalfi Coast
Amalfi Coast
Campania, Italy
Western New York
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Self plan 1st trip to italy or tour company?

I usually suggest to first timers that a group tour of the three main cities: Rome, Florence and Venice is the best introduction to this fabulous country.I just returned from a trip that I planned myself but I had been there 7 times previously. It was a time consuming task but I relied on the places I had already seen/done. Unfortunately, taking my 15 yr nephew meant I needed to go at the end of June and beginning of July. This is not an ideal time to travel to Italy. The weather was brutal with temps in the mid-90's and humid. Not good walking around weather. If you can go early Spring or in the Fall, I think you would be able to see and do more and not have to retreat to your hotel for the afternoon. So the question is: how comfortable are you in making your way around these cities? As for the Amalfi coast, this is a totally different experience that visiting the previously mentioned three cities. Try not to do it all in one trip. Promise yourself that you will return :-).

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Self plan 1st trip to italy or tour company?

Thanks for the help!

dana point...
Level Contributor
78 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Self plan 1st trip to italy or tour company?

I agree with the above posters. I enjoy planning our trips almost as much as the trip itself. A good idea is to look at several tour company itineraries for the trip you want to take - that gives you a foundation to start from - then personalize as you wish. Happy traveling.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Self plan 1st trip to italy or tour company?

We are in a similar position to you being our first trip to Europe. We will be on a 12 night western mediterranean cruise which will visit most of the main Italian major cities (albeit only a few hours at each). We have also booked an Eastern Europe coach tour with Insight that looks like being cancelled at the last minute (not happy, Jan) so thinking that we may explore more of Italy if this happens. Our dilemma - find another coach tour or self tour. We quite like the idea of catching trains from one city to another but would like feedback from others. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Italy
Italy
Europe
tucson, az
Level Contributor
4,171 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Self plan 1st trip to italy or tour company?

You could try something like Monograms tours: the one we took had three nights each in Rome, Florence and Venice and we got one tour in each city and transportation between them and the airpors when coming and going and we were on our own the rest of the time (breakfast in the hotels were included). It was very nice and there was a Monograms representative at each hotel to help answer your questions and help you book other tours if you wanted.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,466 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Self plan 1st trip to italy or tour company?

We planned our trip on our own and it worked out very well. Flew into Venice; flew via EasyJet to Naples where a driver met us and took us on a tour of the Amalfi Coast and dropped us at the hotel in Sorrento. Visited Capri on our own. Same driver took us to the Naples train station where we purchased tickets for Rome. All the hotels we chose were nicely located, clean and quiet. We had a taxi take us to the airport (the hotel arranged the very early morning taxi). I still have all the details of the trip that I can e-mail or fax to you. Send me a private message if you would like them.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Naples
Naples
Province of Naples, Italy
Amalfi Coast
Amalfi Coast
Campania, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
Province of Naples, Italy
Capri
Capri
Island of Capri, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
louisiana
Level Contributor
800 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Self plan 1st trip to italy or tour company?

If you go on your own make sure your hotels have lifts....unless you are in really good shape. Sometimes I would feel like crying while lugging my bags up 4 flights of stairs. Also get a map of the surrounding areas of where you will be staying....I have missed some amazing things because I did not know that they were only 10 minutes away.

new jersey
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Self plan 1st trip to italy or tour company?

would you mind sending me the details of your trip...I am planning for the first time. Thank you! Chrisd105@verizon.net

10. Re: Self plan 1st trip to italy or tour company?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2014, 07:19