We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long must a UK passport be valid to enter Italy?

Lilongwe, Malawi
2 posts
Save Topic
How long must a UK passport be valid to enter Italy?

My sone wants to fly to Italy from Britain in Aug 2012 for a week or two... but his passport expires in Oct 2012. Will he have any problems getting in?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,686 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long must a UK passport be valid to enter Italy?

No. As an EU citizen, he only requires a valid national ID card issued by the country of which he is a citizen. As the UK doesn't issue ID cards, that means valid passport.

For non-EU citizens, to enter Italy passports have to be valid for at least 3 months from date of entry because that is the maximum length of stay as a tourist. But of course there is no maximum for EU citizens to stay in another EU MS.

If he were to take up residence in Italy, he would of course register as a resident, and renew his British passport "in due course" with the relevant British Embassy (probably in Paris, at least that is now the situation for Brits resident in Belgium, France and Spain) ".

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long must a UK passport be valid to enter Italy?

Perhaps take a look under "Entry requirements" - here:

fco.gov.uk/en/…italy

... but yes, it's also Paris nowadays for renewing passports if resident in Italy!

Peter

Lilongwe, Malawi
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How long must a UK passport be valid to enter Italy?

Thank you - that's very helpful!

Leeds, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How long must a UK passport be valid to enter Italy?

i am travelling to milan from leeds next friday 21st september my passport is due to expire on 10th jan 2013 will i be ok to travel?

Edited: 13 September 2012, 17:10
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long must a UK passport be valid to enter Italy?

Depends how long you'll stay..... but, as long as that's a UK passport and you'd be leaving again in less than 3 months, it would be fine!

From the site mentioned in reply 3, above:

Entry Requirements - Passport Validity

You must hold a valid passport to enter Italy. For stays of up to three months your passport must be valid for the proposed duration of your stay; you do not need any additional period of validity on your passport beyond this. However, it is always sensible to have a short period of extra validity on your passport in case of unforeseen delays to your departure. You do not have to wait until your old passport expires to apply to renew it. Any time left on your old passport when you apply will be added to your new passport, up to a maximum of nine months. For passport applications in the UK, you should apply to the Identity and Passport Service. For stays of longer than three months, contact the Embassy of the country to which you are travelling.

OK?

Peter

Leeds, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How long must a UK passport be valid to enter Italy?

thanks for that im only staying 4days but im panicking a bit?

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How long must a UK passport be valid to enter Italy?

At least that's one less thing you need to worry about!!!

Peter

Scarborough, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How long must a UK passport be valid to enter Italy?

On July 8th 2013 we are visiting Poland, but have noticed that both are Passports are due to expire in Sept 2013, will we gain entry?

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How long must a UK passport be valid to enter Italy?

For the requirements for UK citizens visiting Poland, try...

https:/…entry-requirements

Peter

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde

Ko Chang, Thailand
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How long must a UK passport be valid to enter Italy?

Does this include Sicily too? I am going end of July - my passport expires 14 Jan 2014!