We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning my first Italian vacation

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Planning my first Italian vacation

I am planning my first Italian vacation and would like some sound advise on where I should go and what I should do as a first-timer. I have roughly mapped out my trip - starting in Rome, on to Perugia, Florence (maybe even Siena while I'm in Tuscany), Venice and ending in Milan. Are there any other cities here that I've missed out that i should do? Besides, the touristy sights which I will do for SURE, I would also like to explore the off the beaten tracks of the country. I'm thinking of spending about 2 weeks of travel in August? Hoping to get some useful feedback! :)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning my first Italian vacation

Hi vgaya! Selamat Pagi! (my wife is from KL!)

Welcome to Tripadvisor!

Your question is pretty broad so it's hard to know where to start, so I'll give you a few leads.

1) I am guessing when you say August, you mean August 2013. It's pretty late to be planning for a trip next month!

2) August is the hottest month in the places you list, not to mention being pretty touristed and more expensive. Might you possibly consider another month such as May/June or September/October?

3) the general loop you describe (Rome, Tuscany, Venice, Milan) is do-able in a two week stretch without too much problem.

4) I agree, that it is also a good plan to try to see some of the countryside (e.g., in southern Tuscany or around Perugia) and to get out of the cities when you can. For this it is easiest to rent a car for at least part of your trip.

5) Read the forums here, and read through some guidebooks to get an idea of what excites you about Italy. What would you really LOVE to do? Don't ask "what are the best things to see" since "best" is so different for so many people. Do you REALLY enjoy art, or find it's fine, but doesn't rock your world? Do you REALLY enjoy food & wine? City life? Countrysides? The more you say what you enjoy and what interests you about Italy, the better advice we can give you on this forum.

People here are very helpful! So return often with lots of questions as your planning proceeds.

-Karl

Edited: 20 July 2012, 04:48
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,021 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning my first Italian vacation

6 cities in 14 days? If that is including your arrival departure, then it is 2 days per city--not enough IMHO.

Slow down. Every time you move around you give up half a day to checking in and out, waiting for and taking trains, etc. You usually lose about 1/2 a day.

Try to fly open jaw, (i.e. fly into Rome and out of Milan, if that is your last city) so as not to have to back track.

Pick fewer places, but stay longer and enjoy them more. You could spend a week in Rome, several days in Florence, and finish your trip in Venice and be very happy.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning my first Italian vacation

good points Laura! :) -K

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,782 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning my first Italian vacation

You can travel by train Rome - Perugia - Florence - Venice - Milan and Malpensa Aeroporto

www.trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html Check train times over the next seven days

Bus option Perugia to Florence www.sulga.it

Trenitalia train will take you from Florence to Pisa and Lucca

Bus Florence to Siena sitabus.it/sita-toscana/firenze-siena2010.pdf

Accommodation www.venere.com

www.italia.it/en/home.html

www.romeinfo.com

www.discovertuscany.com

www.turismovenezia.it

Edited: 20 July 2012, 04:55
Tehran, Iran
Level Contributor
311 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning my first Italian vacation

I'm getting sad with reading all the above.

Actually I have the same plan for myself in mid Aug.

Traveling alone from Rome to Florence to Venice and Milan in 10 days.

I know it's better to stay more in each city, but it's so hard to get visa for Europe in my country, so I like to visit this places. :) all of them sound great.

I will be glad if you do have advices for better time arrange.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,021 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning my first Italian vacation

Gayaneh,

Perhaps you would like to start your own thread?

In the meantime, unless you are absolutely fascinated with renaissance art, think about seeing Florence as a day trip from Rome.

Perhaps do either Mlan or Venice?

That way you will still see three cities, and have plenty of time.

Tehran, Iran
Level Contributor
311 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning my first Italian vacation

thx for the answer.

my first plan was like that.

But after lots of searches I find Florence such a great city (I hope it really will be) so I decide to stay there for 3 nights and have a day trip to Siena and Pisa with a tour.

Going to Milan is a must, because I want to get to Bern (Switzerland) by train, and from there I will go to Germany.

So Milan will be last place in Italy. I got a 4 star hotel just to get relax and re-energize myself to continue my trip.

my worries are about the trains, to catch them easily on time soon in the morning. Cross my fingers for that.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning my first Italian vacation

Apa khabar, Karl! :)

Thank you all for the immediate response!

Yes I am looking at Aug 2013 and the reason being, an Italian language summer intensive in Perugia in July which I am thinking abt attending. I haven't quite decided as yet. But if I decide to just holiday, then Laura, you are right, I might need to spend more time taking it all in! :)

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning my first Italian vacation

Hi Gayaneh,

Pls do share with us how your trip went and perhaps some advise for my trip next year! Good luck and hope you have the best time! :)

Tehran, Iran
Level Contributor
311 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning my first Italian vacation

Hi vgaya3

I was hoping to see u in Italy in Aug. 2012 :D

but u r going a year later.

so good luck to u.

And for sure i will share all my trip experience.

TA helped me a lot, so I'll try to share mine. it maybe a little help for others :)