We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 Days Italy itinerary

Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
8 Days Italy itinerary

Hi Guys,

can someone comment and guide if this itinerary makes sense?

This is our first time to this beautiful country.

We are landing in Venice on 26th August at 11:30 AM. We will be flying from New york.

27th Aug - We will be taking Eurostar to Rome - Will Relax and explore few places in the evening.

28th Aug - Taking a full day semi Private Bus tour "Best of Tuscany" covers Pienza and Montalcino

29th Aug - Taking a semi private tour of Coliseum (Early Morning) and Vatican (Afternoon), will do city tour in the evening if we have energy left

30th Aug - Taking a full day semi private tour to Naples and Capri

31st Aug - Taking a full day semi private tour to Florence

1st Sep - Early morning Eurostar to Venice. Will do St. Mark square and Doge's Palace

2nd Sep - Half day Burano and Murano tour. Gondola tour in the evening.

3rd Sep - Flying back to US in the morning

We are not much into Art and Museums. But definately do not want to miss Coliseum, Vatican, MichaelAlgelo David etc. Please let us know if this itinerary makes sense.

Eyes of Rome
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Archaeology Tours
Iaccarino Sorrento Limousine Service
Taxis & Shuttles, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Cultural Tours, City Tours
Stefano's RomeCabs
Historical & Heritage Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
Private Tours of Pompeii
Private Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Cultural Tours
Level Contributor
44 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 Days Italy itinerary

Why travel from Rome to "best of Tuscany". It's too far, will take too long. Stay in Rome, go to Pompeii, Amalie and Capri instead.

Western New York
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 Days Italy itinerary

Franklly, I don't understand your itinerary. Why land in Venice and not do it that day and the next? And read the comments on this site regarding Burano and Murano. I would not spend time going out to the islands. You will be taking your luggage to Rome from Venice. Make Rome your place to travel from, like Naples and Capri. And leave your luggage there. I agree with the other comment about skipping Tuscany. When you are ready to leave Rome, travel to Florence and then fly out of there. There is enough to do in Florence to take 11/2 to 2 days. I really don't understand your starting and ending in Venice. Why backtrack? Do some parts of Italy well and promise yourself that you will come back.

Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 Days Italy itinerary

Thanks for the advice.

Actually, we initially planned to fly directly to Rome and then progress to Florence and Venice. But given the place we are flying from GSO-->JFK, we only got an option of flying into Venice.

We were thinking that on the first day we will be too tired to see any places. So why not go to ROme and make that our base. We will be staying in Rome for 3 nights.

On 28th - Rome to Capri

On 29th - Coliseum and Vatican

On 30th - Early morning we will transfer to Florence Hotel and do Duomo and other stuff on the same day.

On 31st - Michael Angelo's David and other stuff

1st Sep - Go to Venice via Eurostar and checkin to our hotel - do St. Marks square and Doge's palace

2nd Sep - Explore more venice

3rd Sep - Fly back

We have dropped Tuscany Tour based on your advice. Please advice.

Edited: 23 July 2012, 04:40
Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 Days Italy itinerary

Thanks much. We are skipping Tuscany now.

Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
769 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 Days Italy itinerary

If your tickets are already booked I agree with your plan to head to Rome the same day. With only three nights in Rome I would skip Capri - will take all day to get there, and there is so much to do in Rome. Doing the Coliseum and Vatican in one day will keep you busy so be prepared.

Level Contributor
1,005 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 8 Days Italy itinerary

Since you are locked in to flying in and out of Venice (definitely go open jaws next time) I would skip Rome this trip. I know some will be horrified at this thought but there is much to see in N. Italy. With such a short trip I would land and go straight to Florence. Spend a few days there with a day trip to either Siena or Lucca. Then by train to Lake Como for 2 nights and then to Venice. This minimizes time lost to transportation and maximizes your experience of Italy. As for thinking you'll be too tired to do much your first day, I think you'll be surprised. If you sleep some on the flight over you will likely find yourselves excited and raring to go when you land.

Rome is wonderful but deserves a minimum of 4 days (IMHO) so I'd make it the focus of your next trip.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,077 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 8 Days Italy itinerary

I adore Rome and go as often as I can but I agree, I would skip Rome on this short trip as well unless you actually stayed in Rome for 3 days. To use it as just a base to go to Capri (which will take your around 7 hours (round trip) traveling time and then to just spend one day in Rome makes no sense to me for such a short trip.

If you do go to Rome, hopefully you will reconsider and actually stay there for 3 days - even with that you will only scratch the surface. Leave later in the afternoon on the 3rd day instead of in the morning.

My guess with this itinerary is that, like quite a few people, you don't realize the travel time involved and the distances - I think it would be a shame to spend so much time just getting from one place to another when you have just one week.

8. Re: 8 Days Italy itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2013, 10:16