We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary assistance, please.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary assistance, please.

We plan to celebrate our 50th anniversary by spending 3 weeks in Italy. Flying into Milan on Sept. 25 and out of Rome on Oct. 16.

We already booked 2 nights in Milan at the Raffaello Hotel. We plan to travel mostly by train unless you recommend renting a car at some point. We plan to see the standard tourist sights as we have never been to Italy.

We plan to leave Milan for Lake Como (2 nights), then to Cinque Terre( 3 nights), Venice (3 nights), Florence (3 nights), Sienna (how many nights?),Amalfi Coast (3 nights) Rome (4 nights).

At which point do we stop in Pisa to see the Tower?

Do I have the cities in the best order?? Out of Milan should we go to Venice or Lake Como first or to Cinque Terre first and then to Venice?

At what point can we stop in Pompei ?

Is there anything I'm missing that's a "must see" or do?

Should we rent a car to tour Tuscany? We understand cars are more of a problem in the cities and will use trains/busses.

What's the best way to experience the Amalfi Coast? Should we drive it or go on a tour?

Anyone have any itinerary improvements or suggestions?

Can we realistically get hotel rooms between $85-$100 USD per night (with bathroom in room)? Any hotel recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you very much for your time and expert opinion.

Valerie & Bob

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
60 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary assistance, please.

Congratulations on your upcoming anniversary and trip.

I have a couple suggestions based on our recent trip:

* Your time in Florence is limited. If you want a Tuscany experience, consider a day tour, either with a tour company or by train to the countryside.

* when in Florence, take a day trip by train to Pisa.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,090 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary assistance, please.

You're trying to see a great deal in those 3 weeks. You will be spending a lot of time on trains travelling between the cities, checking in and out of hotels, etc.

You might want to cut a couple of destinations out and see the remaining ones a little better; you'll be less tired and more fulfilled when you return.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,402 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary assistance, please.

I think I would do either Cinque Terre or the Amalfi Coast, but not both.

canada
Level Contributor
7,404 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary assistance, please.

Please drop CT. Fit in rest days during your 3 weeks.

Use the time in Florence and Sienna for day trips to Pisa, Lucca, and other hill towns, or wine tasting etc.

At our age, our necks are not that flexible anymore, I found it distressful to drive round 2 bends in reverse to the nearest passing bay on Amalfi Coastal highway. You can do day trips on the coast and Pompeii (and Capri) if you stay in Sorrento.

There are just too many things to see and do in Italy. Plan a second trip before you finish.

5. Re: Itinerary assistance, please.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2013, 10:16