We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

drive or train from Greve to Venice?

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
drive or train from Greve to Venice?

We will be staying in a b&b just outside Greve and will have a car. The next leg of our trip is a few nights in Venice. We are debating about driving to Venice or returning the car somewhere in Florence and taking the train. My concerns are the cost of gas and tolls in comparison to train fare. Also, driving to drop the car in Florence seems tricky, but driving for 4 hours on busy roads in a foreign country also seems stressful. I would love your advice!

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,472 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: drive or train from Greve to Venice?

http://www.viamichelin.com/ suggests the cost of tolls and fuel will be around €50. Its time estimate is four hours, but this is usually an underestimate for tourists. Plus you will need a rest stop. Finding and returning a car in Piazzale Roma in Venice is usually very easy.

Fare for two people 2nd class on the fast (two hours) trains from Florence to Venice bought on the day is €90. You may get reduced fares in advance, but these are worthless if you miss your booked train. Finding a car return in Florence can be difficult and the journey from Greve will certainly take over an hour. You may then need to transfer from the rental return to the train station.

I'd probably drive.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,372 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: drive or train from Greve to Venice?

You could also return your car in Arezzo (depending on the rental company). There is an Avis directly across from the train station. The Hertz is a little bit more remote, in an industrial area but only about 5 mins by taxi to the train station. I believe there is a Sixt somewhere in Arezzo centro area as well.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: drive or train from Greve to Venice?

how much of a hassle is it to carry/load/unload luggage when getting on and off the train?

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,372 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: drive or train from Greve to Venice?

The train doors are narrow and the stairs are somewhat steep. Do not bring more than you can handle by yourself as there is nobody to help you with your luggage on and off. Your luggage should stay with you.

5. Re: drive or train from Greve to Venice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 05:15