We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plug Adapters

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Topic
Plug Adapters

Hi,

I am taking a 24 day trip to Italy which involves us staying at 9 different Hotels in various locations throughout the country, and I am looking to see which Travel Plug Adapter I should purchase.

I have already done a fair share of research on the subject and which travel adapter is going to work best for me, and according to my findings it would seem that the Type C Adapter is what will work best. However, I don't really know for sure, and I was hoping to get some information from other people that have been there many times before to see what they thought would be best, but here is my reasoning for why I think a Type C Adapter might be the best choice.

According to a few Electrical websites the Type C will work in all type C, type E, type F, type H, and some Type L Outlets, where as the Type L will only work with Type L outlets, and after reading some reports by other people who have traveled to Italy, it seems to be not that uncommon to still find some locations with older Type C outlets. In which case the Type L would be unusable. So, really the only advantage to the Type L Adapter would be that it offers a ground wire. However, I was giving that some thought and the 2 electronics I will be bringing are an I Pad and Camera both of which contain built in Dual Voltage converters for 110V -220V, so I am okay there. However, they both also have a standard 2 prong Type A Plug, which means the devices are not going to be grounded even if I was to plug it into a Type L Adapter that is grounded through a Type L Outlet. So, in other words the grounding of the Adapter offers the device in this case no benefit or protection, and given the higher possibility of the Type C Adapter fitting in more Outlets it seems like it would be the clear choice to take on my trip to Italy over the Type L Adapter.

However, it does state on these sites that the Type C only works in some Type L Outlets and perhaps the more common type L Outlet (which could be the most frequently used in Italy for all I know) is not the type to be compatible with the Type C Adapter, in which case I would have just purchased a piece of junk.

So, any advice that can be given on the subject would be greatly appreciated. Also, if there is a specific brand or product that people really liked I would like to hear about that as well. I found this one online at Amazon that allows you to plug two things into one adapter and it has pretty good reviews the only thing that makes me nervous is that despite it stating it is a Type C Adapter it makes no mention to Italy as being a country where it can be used. So, once again any thoughts are appreciated.

SIncerely,

Bryan Carlson

51 replies to this topic
Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Plug Adapters

You've certainly done your research haven't you?! I have neither an Ipad nor a camera but until somebody can give you a comprehensive reply: mobile phone chargers and things like portable DVD players usually have the two pin (not grounded) plugs here, while pc rechargers have three pin (grounded).

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Plug Adapters

appia670,

Thank you for your response.

Yes, but what type of outlet is most commonly found in Italy, a Type C with two Holes or a Type L with three Holes and will the two prong Type C adapters work in the majority of Type L 3 hole outlets throughtout Italy?

I appreciate the assistance.

Sincerely,

Bryan Carlson

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Plug Adapters

They are nearly all three holes, in line, one above the other. Not seen two hole ones for decades, although maybe there are still some in very old buildings. Don't know anything about types, sorry. It's Saturday morning and a bit slow on the forum. I'm sure someone will come up with the answer soon. Have a good trip!

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Plug Adapters

Come to think of it (I'm no electrician as you can tell) there are outlets with three small holes for low wattage appliances, and outlets with three larger holes for heavy duty stuff like washing machines etc.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Plug Adapters

Appia670,

Well it sounds like if your experience is that most of the outlets have 3 holes in a straight line then that would be the Type L outlet, and if your devices consist of a combination of two and three prong plugs then that would mean that both Type C and Type L plug adapters should work with that outlet. However, my only other questions would be is your experience the norm throughout Italy, and has anybody had problems with using the two prong Type C plug in any of the Type L outlets.

I really appreciate your help though, and I think you helped me more then you think you did. Lol

Sincerely,

Bryan

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Plug Adapters

appia670,

Are both of those 3 holed outlets in a straight line only just further apart? Because if so that might be an example of the different kinds of Type L outlets. Now when you say small holes for low wattage appliances, would that be the outlet you would use for things like a laptop, because when I think of small appliances I think of it as being more like a microwave or maybe a coffee maker.

Thanks for the help.

Sincerely,

Bryan

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Plug Adapters

No no, for laptops.Just got a tape measure out. The small holes are 1 cm apart (mid-hole to mid-hole) and the large holes are 1.3 cm apart (mid to mid). Approx of course!

Sorry for the non technical language.

Edited: 25 August 2012, 09:26
Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Plug Adapters

Ah, just remembered. Some more modern outlets take both small and large plugs.In the sense that the holes are slightly elongated, being a bit bigger at the top.

Edited: 25 August 2012, 09:32
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Plug Adapters

appia670,

Now, I am confused. Lol

Are you saying that the holes in the Outlet for Laptops are 1 cm apart while the holes in Outlets for small appliances are 1.3 cm apart or are you saying that the small appliance Outlet which consists of the same holes as you would use a laptop on are 1 cm apart and that the large appliance Outlet is 1.3 cm apart?

I might sound knowledgeable, but I get confused easy. Lol

Thanks for the help it is really appreciated.

Sincerely,

Bryan Carlson

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Plug Adapters

<<are you saying that the small appliance Outlet which consists of the same holes as you would use a laptop on are 1 cm apart and that the large appliance Outlet is 1.3 cm apart?>>

YES. But bear in mind my last post about modern outlets that take both.

Hope this is clear now!

Reply to: Plug Adapters
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted