We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grape crushing/ stomping in Italy

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
168 reviews
Save Topic
Grape crushing/ stomping in Italy

Does anyone know somewhere I can stomp on grapes ( traditional style- with my feet!) in Tuscany or northern Italy? We Re traveling mid Sept to early october 2012.

I am happy to pay for this experience.

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
22,972 reviews
from US$75.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
529 reviews
from US$410.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Tour...
2,818 reviews
from US$123.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,699 reviews
from US$111.90*
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grape crushing/ stomping in Italy

It's not done anymore, and hasn't been for about 40 years, unless you find a place that puts on a show for the tourists.

The vendemmia may be over when you get there, anyway.

Edited: 08 September 2012, 23:42
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,319 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Grape crushing/ stomping in Italy

One of my all time favorite I Love Lucy episodes was her doing just that - but, I think about 50 plus years ago.

Springfield, VA
Level Contributor
4 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grape crushing/ stomping in Italy

They do grape stomping in the Veneto...families who live here...and sometimes tourists!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grape crushing/ stomping in Italy

The families who live there who are stomping on the grapes are putting on a show for the tourists, though, right?

If anyone is producing wine for other than a tourist show or personal consumption, the law wouldn't allow the grapes to be stomped with anyone's bare feet. Even people who produce wine just for themselves use machines, because there's too great a risk of molds, etc., that could ruin the wine.

Italy
Level Contributor
6,099 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grape crushing/ stomping in Italy

Stomping grape with feet is only a show for tourist. Juice is thrown away at the end.

6. Re: Grape crushing/ stomping in Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2014, 05:17